Vazen 40mm Anamorphic Lens for M43

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anamorphic imaging shrinks or magnifies an image along either the vertical or horizontal axis. It is how early "wide screen" (aka "...scope") video was produced. As far as the actual frame formats are concerned, there is a strong argument that it has no real advantage anymore, but as this video points out, it's still "arguable":

"DPReview TV: Vazen 40mm T2 Anamorphic Review",
posted by "DPReview" Nov 9, 2019, [length 7:43]

""

[2019-11-13 15:42]
I checked B&H and they have this lens in stock for $3,250 US. Aside from the SLR Magic lenses this is about 1/10th the price of similar lenses by more Pro companies.

Jordon mentioned another lens which I think he mis-pronounced. I think he mean the "Sirui" company which has announced a 50mm 1:33x anamorphic lens for Sony E-mount, Fuji X-mount and M4:3 mount. It is projected to arrive early in 2020 (around January) at about 700 Euros.

Last edited:
If you want to see an example of anamorphic flare, the following music video (Akmu's "Dinosaur") uses it at about 2:33 and 2:47. It's really great looking flare! In fact, it's really perfect! In fact, it's so good that, . . . . it might just be "digitally faked?" I don't know. But it will give you an idea of what it looks like and how it can be used:

"AKMU - 'DINOSAUR' M/V",
posted by "Akdong Musician (AKMU)", July 20, 2017, [length 4:43]
""

[2019-11-10 14:36]
At around 0:34 the "bokeh balls" in the background are vertical ovals. I cannot think of a practical way to "fake" this, so I think that a lot of this was recorded with a real anamorphic lens, and probably a fairly expensive one.

Last edited:
I found the "Making" video for the MV and it actually has some pretty good recordings of the equipment and how it was done. I can't recognize the equipment, but people who are working Pros who see these rigs often would probably be able to identify some of it. The lens, unfortunately is never really visible from the front, so I can't see if it is anamorphic.

"AKMU - ‘DINOSAUR’ M/V MAKING FILM",
posted by "Akdong Musician (AKMU)", July 21, 2017,
[There is an English translation in the comments, if you can find it]
""

Most reactions

New Topics

Back