very bad scratchy

salsavin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello
I'm new to here and i couldn't wait before posting this thread about a puzzling scratch on a nikkor 75 300. i'm attaching pics one overview and another 1 with more details.
Can any of you specs help me, what is this supposed to be ? How bad ? can i fix it ?
Either way this doesn't look really good!!

Thanks a lot
Vince
3000582482_b5791890e9.jpg

2999740233_c0c550de7d.jpg

If its a scratch and not a smear of something (which gentle, but firm cleaning with a microfibre cloth should remove) then I think the only hope is to replace that bit of glass - which is best done by a repair centre.

thx for the quick answer!

Yes, first make sure that it in indeed a scratch rather than a smear or smudge. Don't be afraid to clean is with a fair bit of pressure...after all, if it comes off, you are good and if it doesn't, you don't have to worry about ruining it.

If it's scratched, send or take it into a repair center and ask for a quote.

Have you actually used the lens to make sure the scratch/smudge on the front lens element even translates to a captured picture? I would do this before tossing the lens away and putting money down on a new one.

Have you actually used the lens to make sure the scratch/smudge on the front lens element even translates to a captured picture? I would do this before tossing the lens away and putting money down on a new one.

Well the pictures looked amazing really but since i just got this lens last week i dunno how it affected the quality.
I should have thought twice really. It wasn't a scratch but some smudge indeed. Cleaned it, it went away but as a reaplacement i got an opaque veil (i use a cleaning kit). doh
Ok so the next thing was to take the same picture that i took before cleaning and compare both on capturenx2 and guess what. i lost CRITICAL details on shadows and contrast. Definitely don't look the same as before
i should have leeft this bit of dirt alone. i will never touch a glass ever again!

anyways thanks a lot for the insights. Ill take the lens to someone i know does the right movements when cleaning a lens since i am obviously messing it up everytime i'm trying!
vince

just checking - you used a normal lens cleaning kit to clean the lens and now have a strange layer covering the whole lens surface? Did you use a dry section of microfibre cloth to clean the lens afterwards? That should remove the veil

Buy UV filters to protect your lenses. I put them on mine as soon as they come out of the box. Alot cheaper to replace a filter than a lens.

I have yet to use a filter that doesn't create frustrating lens flares in my images.

But yes, filters protect your glass, for sure. It just gimps it in the process.

I have yet to use a filter that doesn't create frustrating lens flares in my images.

But yes, filters protect your glass, for sure. It just gimps it in the process.

Depends on what kind you are using. Yes, some of the lower $$ filters will create some flare, but the medium to higher end ones are much clearer and will not have any effect on your photos.

When I thought that was a scratch, I cringed. I hope you get this sorted out without having to put out a lot of cash on it though. Should be simple enough. Good luck.

wow what a nice helpful community you make!
im not worrying about it really. i do tend to get a bit paranoid about this bad boy really.
So i already have a uv on my 18-55 and i was already planning to get another one for the 75.300. Will do today after a bit of cleaning by the right person!
Ptyler makes sense with this link. So in response here's two pics of the same scene with same light, expo etc, one before the veil (and it still had the bit of smudge on it, i took it without knowing the documentary nature it would later have) and one after the cleaning with the veil.
i also attached capturenx histograms of the two pics
i definitely lost depth. I don't even need histograms to see this. the pics speak for themselves.
Anyway enjoy your day and thanks again
Vince

3002502022_47ff9c78ba_o.jpg

3001666627_8939f26b7c.jpg
3002502098_ef31860cc1.jpg

Most reactions

Back