View NX not working message, need help!

Dig around on Nikon's web site. They used to have an application called RegSweeper that would remove all registry entries. I looked around for it but couldn't find it, but admittedly I didn't look a great deal. I have a very old copy here (from 2009) that you are welcome to but I'm afraid it wouldn't get all the entries from later versions of the software. It might also be worthwhile to try sending Nikon a support request. I've only done that once but they were pretty prompt about getting back to me.

Hi Craig thanks for the offer and suggestion. I will look for Regsweeper and definitely contact Nikon, I should have done that sooner.

There's two ways to clean things from the registry. One is to use software designed to do so. The other is to go through the entire registry manually and delete any references to VNX2. But there's no one single way that will always work.

I think I will try the registry software route to be on the safe side, but I better read and learn first before tackling it. Thanks again for your help :)

I've used CCLeaner a couple times with success. But there have been times I've had to scour the registry manually to delete a line or two in order to get things to work.

If there's more than one version of VNX on Nikon's website, are you downloading the 64-bit version and not the 32?

Ok i rechecked and yes it's 64 bit. What else can I do?

Stop battling the tide, and give up on Nikon software. I know I personally gave up on it after soooooo many years battling Nikon Capture, and its continual habit of being crash-prone on Windows, crash-prone on Mac OS, buggy, poorly-featured, crappy interface design, slow-to-be-updated, or "no longer updated" on new Mac OS variants, just to name a few of the issues with Nikon software. Thom Hogan has been very critical of Nikon's software problems, which are many, and long-duration issues. The software offerings Nikon has released since Capture version 1.0 have always been memory-inefficient, and, well, very far behind state of the art except for maybe the first 12 months of raw image development as a "thing".

Nikon software seems dedicated to the idea that a HANDFUL of images will be processed, and no more. The idea that the software needs to be rock-steady, fast, reliable, and updated in synch with new software from the OS manufacturers is something that has just not registered with Nikon, Japan. Nikon "farms out" its software development to third parties, and has for years; Nikon software has just not established the wide-ranging reliability that Adobe (and others) has been able to establish. Sure--there are a FEW people who have working versions of some Nikon software, but there are tens of thousands of web-forum examples and complaints/pleas regarding defective/buggy/crash-prone/problematic Nikon software. The thing is--the software industry is something Nikon has NO REAL experience in--they HIRE it done, and it has been done BADLY for going on 15 years now. Thom says he can no longer recommend Nikon software. I stopped using Nikon Capture around version 4.1...because it was sloooow, and tended to CRASH if more than ten files were batch processed at one time. It was pathetic.

The real issue is this: Nikon is a camera maker and a lens maker, and it has verrrry little reason to hire the kind of software engineers and developers and support staff that is needed in the MODERN software business. Adobe is an example of a ***software company***, which has every reason to offer the exact kind of services, products, and support that is needed to make good **software**.

I would say, make your life EASIER, and quit fighting the crappy software that Nikon has become infamous for.

If there's more than one version of VNX on Nikon's website, are you downloading the 64-bit version and not the 32?

Ok i rechecked and yes it's 64 bit. What else can I do?

Stop battling the tide, and give up on Nikon software. I know I personally gave up on it after soooooo many years battling Nikon Capture, and its continual habit of being crash-prone on Windows, crash-prone on Mac OS, buggy, poorly-featured, crappy interface design, slow-to-be-updated, or "no longer updated" on new Mac OS variants, just to name a few of the issues with Nikon software. Thom Hogan has been very critical of Nikon's software problems, which are many, and long-duration issues. The software offerings Nikon has released since Capture version 1.0 have always been memory-inefficient, and, well, very far behind state of the art except for maybe the first 12 months of raw image development as a "thing".

Nikon software seems dedicated to the idea that a HANDFUL of images will be processed, and no more. The idea that the software needs to be rock-steady, fast, reliable, and updated in synch with new software from the OS manufacturers is something that has just not registered with Nikon, Japan. Nikon "farms out" its software development to third parties, and has for years; Nikon software has just not established the wide-ranging reliability that Adobe (and others) has been able to establish. Sure--there are a FEW people who have working versions of some Nikon software, but there are tens of thousands of web-forum examples and complaints/pleas regarding defective/buggy/crash-prone/problematic Nikon software. The thing is--the software industry is something Nikon has NO REAL experience in--they HIRE it done, and it has been done BADLY for going on 15 years now. Thom says he can no longer recommend Nikon software. I stopped using Nikon Capture around version 4.1...because it was sloooow, and tended to CRASH if more than ten files were batch processed at one time. It was pathetic.

The real issue is this: Nikon is a camera maker and a lens maker, and it has verrrry little reason to hire the kind of software engineers and developers and support staff that is needed in the MODERN software business. Adobe is an example of a ***software company***, which has every reason to offer the exact kind of services, products, and support that is needed to make good **software**.

I would say, make your life EASIER, and quit fighting the crappy software that Nikon has become infamous for.

O.M.F.G.
Shocked-Face.jpg

Derrel said something bad about Nikon.

We interrupt this thread for a Breaking News Story...........
HELL HAS ACTUALLY FROZEN OVER. FILM AT 11:00.
1-a_cold_day_hell.jpg

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. :biglaugh:

I call 'em as I see 'em. Nikon has made crappy software for YEARS. Literally, years. And Nikon also makes some pretty average "consumer" lenses.

Maybe you should check out the links to my blog by clicking on my user name and actually doing some reading; I've been calling things as I see them since the mid-2000's. At one time Nikon had good raw converter software; that was back in the D1 days, before Adobe had anything that could open Nikon raw files, and before Bibble and MacBibble were developed, and wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy before Adobe--or Canon- or Fuji, or Kodak ever conceptualized the idea of making non-destructive edits to RAW image files in the form of "lists of changes". That was Nikon's invention; the idea of being able to non-destructively edit RAW files, and then SAVE the images "back to RAW"; for several years, NO other software company, and no other camera company, offered that ability. Canon and Fuji users had to make edits to their raw images, then save those images by making huge, 16-bit or 8-bit .PSD files, at a huuuuge file size penalty.

But that leadership, and that innovation, was lost not too long after the d-slr revolution got underway fully. Since about Capture version 1.2, Nikon has been losing ground on its software. Nikon Capture has been a lesson in how NOT to iterate software. Nikon View OTOH, has always been "ehhhhh." The whole basis of need for Nikon View is, well, a pretty ridiculously outdated Japanese-culture-centric anachronism. It's almost as if Nikon corporate does not understand that new, modern, 21st century computers can handle many file types, and that there are many ways to download and view images on modern PCs and Macs. A looooooong time ago, the typical Windoze PC needed helper applications to perform many tasks, but this is an entirely different century. The idea that users need a "download helper app" and a stripped down bare-bones RAW converter is....so quaint, so 1990's!

Nikon software has just gotten worse and worse; Lightroom really is the new driving force in consumer file handling and developing. Nikon software is wayyyyyy behind the state of the art. I quit using it a few years ago, despite having spent maybe $1,000 in various full versions of Capture; the initial cost of Capture 1.0 was about $499, IMMSMC, 13 years ago. And and IBM 1-gig Microdrive was $400. Nikon seems stuck in that distant past, hopelessly lost in the world of software.

I call 'em as I see 'em. Nikon has made crappy software for YEARS. Literally, years. And Nikon also makes some pretty average "consumer" lenses.

Maybe you should check out the links to my blog by clicking on my user name and actually doing some reading; I've been calling things as I see them since the mid-2000's. At one time Nikon had good raw converter software; that was back in the D1 days, before Adobe had anything that could open Nikon raw files, and before Bibble and MacBibble were developed, and wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy before Adobe--or Canon- or Fuji, or Kodak ever conceptualized the idea of making non-destructive edits to RAW image files in the form of "lists of changes". That was Nikon's invention; the idea of being able to non-destructively edit RAW files, and then SAVE the images "back to RAW"; for several years, NO other software company, and no other camera company, offered that ability. Canon and Fuji users had to make edits to their raw images, then save those images by making huge, 16-bit or 8-bit .PSD files, at a huuuuge file size penalty.

But that leadership, and that innovation, was lost not too long after the d-slr revolution got underway fully. Since about Capture version 1.2, Nikon has been losing ground on its software. Nikon Capture has been a lesson in how NOT to iterate software. Nikon View OTOH, has always been "ehhhhh." The whole basis of need for Nikon View is, well, a pretty ridiculously outdated Japanese-culture-centric anachronism. It's almost as if Nikon corporate does not understand that new, modern, 21st century computers can handle many file types, and that there are many ways to download and view images on modern PCs and Macs. A looooooong time ago, the typical Windoze PC needed helper applications to perform many tasks, but this is an entirely different century. The idea that users need a "download helper app" and a stripped down bare-bones RAW converter is....so quaint, so 1990's!

Nikon software has just gotten worse and worse; Lightroom really is the new driving force in consumer file handling and developing. Nikon software is wayyyyyy behind the state of the art. I quit using it a few years ago, despite having spent maybe $1,000 in various full versions of Capture; the initial cost of Capture 1.0 was about $499, IMMSMC, 13 years ago. And and IBM 1-gig Microdrive was $400. Nikon seems stuck in that distant past, hopelessly lost in the world of software.

Derrel, relax.....It was a joke. :lol:

The cosmos has now officially come to an end. :D

I've used CCLeaner a couple times with success. But there have been times I've had to scour the registry manually to delete a line or two in order to get things to work.

Thanks I will look into CCleaner for sure as well.

I call 'em as I see 'em. Nikon has made crappy software for YEARS. Literally, years. And Nikon also makes some pretty average "consumer" lenses. Maybe you should check out the links to my blog by clicking on my user name and actually doing some reading; I've been calling things as I see them since the mid-2000's. At one time Nikon had good raw converter software; that was back in the D1 days, before Adobe had anything that could open Nikon raw files, and before Bibble and MacBibble were developed, and wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy before Adobe--or Canon- or Fuji, or Kodak ever conceptualized the idea of making non-destructive edits to RAW image files in the form of "lists of changes". That was Nikon's invention; the idea of being able to non-destructively edit RAW files, and then SAVE the images "back to RAW"; for several years, NO other software company, and no other camera company, offered that ability. Canon and Fuji users had to make edits to their raw images, then save those images by making huge, 16-bit or 8-bit .PSD files, at a huuuuge file size penalty. But that leadership, and that innovation, was lost not too long after the d-slr revolution got underway fully. Since about Capture version 1.2, Nikon has been losing ground on its software. Nikon Capture has been a lesson in how NOT to iterate software. Nikon View OTOH, has always been "ehhhhh." The whole basis of need for Nikon View is, well, a pretty ridiculously outdated Japanese-culture-centric anachronism. It's almost as if Nikon corporate does not understand that new, modern, 21st century computers can handle many file types, and that there are many ways to download and view images on modern PCs and Macs. A looooooong time ago, the typical Windoze PC needed helper applications to perform many tasks, but this is an entirely different century. The idea that users need a "download helper app" and a stripped down bare-bones RAW converter is....so quaint, so 1990's! Nikon software has just gotten worse and worse; Lightroom really is the new driving force in consumer file handling and developing. Nikon software is wayyyyyy behind the state of the art. I quit using it a few years ago, despite having spent maybe $1,000 in various full versions of Capture; the initial cost of Capture 1.0 was about $499, IMMSMC, 13 years ago. And and IBM 1-gig Microdrive was $400. Nikon seems stuck in that distant past, hopelessly lost in the world of software.

Wow, you wrote quite a bit, but I am glad you did. I did not realize all that info about Nikon, it's really good to know. I know you have a lot of experience like many others on this site. I will look at your blog and do some reading. Talking about software what do you think of Lightzone and Rawtherapee? I can't afford Lightroom right now so I figured I try them out. Or perhaps there are others you would recommend. Thanks Derrell.

O.M.F.G. Derrel said something bad about Nikon. We interrupt this thread for a Breaking News Story........... HELL HAS ACTUALLY FROZEN OVER. FILM AT 11:00. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. :biglaugh:

Way too funny! Hilarious love the baby's expression.

O.M.F.G. Derrel said something bad about Nikon. We interrupt this thread for a Breaking News Story........... HELL HAS ACTUALLY FROZEN OVER. FILM AT 11:00. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. :biglaugh:

Darrel is now ghost-writing for Thom Hogan.
post-14105-1131311653.gif

Darrel is now ghost-writing for Thom Hogan.
post-14105-1131311653.gif

Sorry Sparky, I must have not sent you the memo. It's not Thom Hogan. He's ghost-writing for Ken Rockwell.

Most reactions

Back