Views on Canon 17-55mm f2.8 lense

thirdkid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So just wondering what people think of the Canon 17-55mm f2.8 lens as im thinking of buying it for a 400d. I have heard it has the quality of an L lense but would rather have peoples views on this lens.

Also how is it in indoor shooting in low light with and without a strobe.

It's a fantastic lens with excellent optics, Image Stablization, a fixed f/2.8 and a crop-friendly focal range. When I was shopping this against the 24-70 2.8 and 24-105 IS, the choice was pretty simple for my APS-C.

It's going to be slightly easier to shoot than the 24-70 since it's got IS. But that won't affect subject motion, only camera shake. f/2.8 is very nice, but it is not a miracle worker. If you want something like that, your best option would probably be the 400$ 50mm f/1.4. That thing can shoot in the worst of light like a champ.

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens Review

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens Review

+1 . It should really have a red ring and a L after the name. It's REALLY close to L quality.

From all accounts, it's a fantastic lens.

There are some issues to be aware of though. Firstly is dust. I've heard that this lens is prone to getting dust under the front element. It doesn't really affect the images, but it drives you crazy. The second issue is the longevity of the IS system. I know several wedding photographers who have burnt out the IS on this lens, more than once.
The good news is that because it's such a short focal length, you don't really need the IS until it gets fairly dark. So the solution seems to be using the IS only when required, rather than leaving it turned on all the time.

Thanks for all the inputs. Im also stuck with either getting the 24-70 also but reading and hearing about the 17-55 sounds like a better option. And yeah i have heard the IS gets burnt out quite fast, but then again it is there when you want it to be used so you can just turn it on when needed as big mike said.

When the IS gets burnt out can it be serviced?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back