Volleyball

412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright...so after reading long stories about how volleyball is THE worst sport to go and shoot. I went out and shot 2 matches of the 3. Being the young little arrogant kid that I am I didn't think it would be that hard. Went with my Nikon D7000 and 80-200 2.8 and took a few test shots for the gym lighting and got my settings.. Few were good back salvable in LR then I slowed the shutter speed so I didn't have to do so much editing but the ball isn't as crisp as I wanted it to be.. Turned out that my iso was about 1000-2000 and shutter speeds around 1/500.. here are a few shots. Anyone with good shots of volleyball. I solute you. :hail:

Waynesburg University Volleyball by ZDiBeradin, on Flickr

Waynesburg University by ZDiBeradin, on Flickr

You were photographing girls volleyball and you were trying to get good shots of the ball?! (JK) I have never tried Volleyball, but I have learned that the D7000 can handle very high ISO so long as you end up with a proper exposure. I have also learned that it is much easier to handle noise in post than it is to handle motion blur. I would say make your shutter speed your priority.

You were photographing girls volleyball and you were trying to get good shots of the ball?! (JK) I have never tried Volleyball, but I have learned that the D7000 can handle very high ISO so long as you end up with a proper exposure. I have also learned that it is much easier to handle noise in post than it is to handle motion blur. I would say make your shutter speed your priority.

I'll have to try that but some were just so dang dark!

Sometimes its a juggling act. If you push the ISO too high you can get unmanageable noise and if you leave the ISO lower and try to push the exposure level in post, which can increase the appearance of noise, you end up with unmanageable noise. You could try getting shots just before the girls hit the ball, that way the ball is moving at it's slowest.

Volleyball is HELL. Getting their faces is PURE HELL, getting both teams is hell, getting what you want without the net or another player or God only knows what is a nightmare... Yep, Volleyball is THE WORST sport to shoot.
I am generally maxed out on my ISO and shooting about f/3.2; 1/640 or faster if I can and PRAYING, HARD!!! Through the whole game. Been at it for 3 years now and I still SUCK BADLY at Volleyball!
408587_442407975810398_221510147_n.jpg
581404_442407865810409_1716424885_n.jpg

Last edited:
good photos! Tens time brighter than mine! This was my first game and I was kinda blind sided by the difficulty Luckily I was only shooting for my University's team so I didn't have to cover both teams.

I want to be in the one net judge's spot. The one on the steps. I'd be happy with a 24-70 2.8 then. Don't skimp on your ISO. You can't fix blurry, but you can remove noise.
I have shot from the edge of the net, back center, back corner, above net level at center, above on one side... I haven't yet found a happy place. I shoot my required games and that's about it. Its THAT weekend bad for me!

MLeek, ask the ref if you can sit under their stand. I've had some very cooperative refs that will let me do that as long as I stay there until there is a time out or the game is over. You can get some interesting perspectives from shooting down low right at the net.

MLeek, ask the ref if you can sit under their stand. I've had some very cooperative refs that will let me do that as long as I stay there until there is a time out or the game is over. You can get some interesting perspectives from shooting down low right at the net.

I can get under. I want to be UP there!!!

Most reactions

Back