War Games

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Who plays 'em?

I've always loved simulators, especially war simulations. I don't know why.

I just downloaded the demo of DEFCON: Everybody Dies. I have to say - I like it a lot so far. I'll be buying the full version soon.

Any other good ones to try? I have Silent Hunter III & IV - both great (but I think III is better). I wish they would make a sub simulator with modern submarines... WWII gets boring after a while. Lets get some NATO vs. Warsaw Pact action going, lol.

LOL, quote from the link:
It's Global Thermonuclear War, and nobody wins.
But maybe - just maybe - you can lose the least.

I like those types of games (1st person shooters), but there just not as fun for me as the strategic ones. Maybe I'm just a boring person, but I like to plan every detail.

That's what I love about Silent Hunter. You have to ID the boat, figure out the firing solution, then make the kill. After that, you have about three hours of boredom (plotting your course) 'till the next kill.

I used to play Command and Conquer a lot (long time ago). I have no idea if they even still make it.

Yep they still do - though sadly its under EA control now :(
The Command and Conquer Red Alert series has actually done rather well under EA - the Tiberium Line of games though have done rather poorly since thier first release.

As for this kind of game - I have many (possibly too many ;)) and like a good range of them - though I tend to be more a fantasy and scifi gamer than a World Wars gamer.

Eagerly awaiting Starcraft 2 this year (I hope!)

I used to play C&C a ton too. I have the Generals/Zero Hour one, it's not too bad.

I think DEFCON is the most fun I've had in a while though. So simple, yet so fun.

I've always loved simulators
Since you said this, do you do any racing simulating?

I don't do war games, or FPS, or anything else really except for flight simming and racing sims.

Here's my plug, for some advertising of the non-advertised racing sim....

Live for Speed. If you like to race, then LFS is the most realistic driving model you will find in a racing sim today. The cars have true to life feeling, the steering physics are derived directly from the front wheels and not some central anchor point like most simulators. The sound and everything that happens to the car, such as force feedback in the steering wheel is derived directly from the physics and nothing has "canned effects" like all the others.

The other I do is flight simming. I flight sim with FS9 mainly because of the online servers I found at WSPilots. Unfortunately, not many are flying online there like when I first got into the flight simming thing.

I could never get into the war and FPS stuff. I haven't had a gaming console since the Sega Genesis and I never have the latest and greatest PC to be able to run the latest and greatest FPS/war games.

Red Orchestra for the realism in it. Battlefield 2.

there hasn't been a good RPG since Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 (KOTOR was a good start but KOTOR 2 was a total distaster)

Since you said this, do you do any racing simulating?

Yeah, I like pretty much all sims - flight, racing, u-boat...

I have Age of Empires 3, and I didn't like it much. I don't think I've ever played 2, I'll have to look for it.

Always loved RPGs too.

Any of you played Fable? I thought it was good, just waayyyy too short.
For RPGs, I've always been more into the console offerings. I think Square Enix is the only game maker that knows how to make one...

!!!!
Final Fantasy and other Square Titles are fantastic, but nothing beats old Bioware for making an RPG game! (Sadly they are now EA owned :())

I encourage you to seek out Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 (both games and their expansions are in the cheap sections for games now and there is a bundle with all the games and the expansion for each included in one package.
Its old- the graphics are dated (by todays standards) And it lacks the cinematics that FF has - BUT its one of the most immersive RPGs that you can play

Most reactions

New Topics

Back