Water/dock photo

camjam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jimandlauraphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Would removing the dock poles down to the top of the dock improve the image?

I made an attempt to remove the pole but wasn't pleased with the result. Had trouble matching the seam in the jeans and shin on the back leg. I've already remove four power poles and their reflections.

Photo is from a senior photo session. I like the photo, but not sure I like the pose for a senior photo.

Jim

Attachments

• DSC_9451.jpg
    DSC_9451.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 158
I am by no means a people photographer, but in my opinion, I do think it would be more pleasing to the eye if they were removed. Shouldn't be too hard in Photoshop

I like it. It's a good shot and something different than the usual senior poses. The reflection is nice in that it doesn't compete with the direct image and I like the hint of a ripple by her hand. Yes it would be improved by removing the poles. I think cropping a bit off the top may make the background less of a distraction - or darken it a bit to highlight her, that grass is very bright and colorful right behind her...

I can see where this would be a sort of difficult PS effort in finding a spot to create her ankle on the right leg and the curve of teh leg on her left leg.
She has some blown out spots on her face and arm that are also problematic.

I took a quick stab at it in PS. They cuff on the right pant leg isn't perfect yet, but I'm sure it could be with a little more effort.

I think my 5 minute effort should demonstrate that it CAN be done, just time consuming.

DSC_9451-EDIT.jpg

I like it better with the post removed, but if you do this, don't forget to remove the reflection of the post in the water. As posted above, there are some blown out spots, but I like everything else about it. :)

[QUOTE="The_Traveler, She has some blown out spots on her face and arm that are also problematic.[/QUOTE]

I am struggling with blown out spots. This photo was a 100% natural light and taken around 7:30 on a very cloudy day just before a storm rolled in. Took our last photo and ran to the truck as it started to rain. At the time I took the photo I thought the lighting was very even. Depending on need, I also use a 5-1 reflector, the reflector in combination with a speedlight, a Westcott Octobox/speedlight combination and it seems no matter what type of lighting I use; I still end up with some blow out spots. Particularly on the cheeks just below the eyes. Maddening.

I am struggling with blown out spots. This photo was a 100% natural light and taken around 7:30 on a very cloudy day just before a storm rolled in. Took our last photo and ran to the truck as it started to rain. At the time I took the photo I thought the lighting was very even. Depending on need, I also use a 5-1 reflector, the reflector in combination with a speedlight, a Westcott Octobox/speedlight combination and it seems no matter what type of lighting I use; I still end up with some blow out spots. Particularly on the cheeks just below the eyes. Maddening.

I would shoot in full manual (I may already do so) and underexpose slightly, making sure the cheeks and eyes are exposed correctly. As long as you shoot in RAW it is much easier to bring up the underexposed in post, than it is to bring down overexposed areas. And of course you can't fix blown out areas, they are just shot.
A reflector or flash is one of your better bets. But Dan (a TPF member) only shoots natural light, and his work is incredible!
Keep at it. :)

Most reactions

Back