What's new

Watkins Glen, Eagle Cliff Falls, and Cayuga Lake [Long Exposures]

Very nice. I love the long exposure water look. When shooting those the overall light level has to be fairly low to prevent everything from being blown out correct? Like on a fairly cloudy day or early morning?
 
Bgagnon127 said:
Very nice. I love the long exposure water look. When shooting those the overall light level has to be fairly low to prevent everything from being blown out correct? Like on a fairly cloudy day or early morning?

Not if you shoot at f/22 or so. Read up on the "exposure triangle" and you'll learn how to make your camera do whatever you want it to do! :)
 
Very nice. I love the long exposure water look. When shooting those the overall light level has to be fairly low to prevent everything from being blown out correct? Like on a fairly cloudy day or early morning?

I'm shooting at F22 on these, yes. All three shots were taken while it was very cloudy. However, I am using a 8X ND and a polarizer to bring down the light more so i get longer exposures. If you're going to invest in filters for long exposure use, I would suggest just going with a 9 or 10 stop filter from B&W or Lee. I need to get one soon.
 
Very nice. I love the long exposure water look. When shooting those the overall light level has to be fairly low to prevent everything from being blown out correct? Like on a fairly cloudy day or early morning?

I'm shooting at F22 on these, yes. All three shots were taken while it was very cloudy. However, I am using a 8X ND and a polarizer to bring down the light more so i get longer exposures. If you're going to invest in filters for long exposure use, I would suggest just going with a 9 or 10 stop filter from B&W or Lee. I need to get one soon.
Thanks for the info. Last time I tried these kind of shots I was also shooting at f22 but to get the long time exposure effect on the water was making the scene overexposed. The filters and knowing that you were shooting on a cloudy day makes sense.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom