WB, Custom WB, and grey cards

lennon33x

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so I saw a video a while back where a guy did some light painting and changed his custom white balances to a red and blue card. Super cool trick, and I get how the custom WB works.

Here's my question though. Under what conditions (light/flash/no flash) and WB setting do you take the Grey Card/White Card photo to set WB?

I don't use any cards to set a custom WB... I use an ExpoDisc WB filter for that.

I would use a card when there's more than one color temperature of light (mixed lighting). For that, I would shoot the card and use the image in post to make any WB corrections.

White Balance is about getting accurate color. You set a custom white balance with a reference card in all light conditions if you really want accurate color. If you capture a raw file you can alter WB during conversion to RGB and either use know temp/tint values or again reference a target during conversion.

Always in my camera bag:

$clr_check.jpg

Joe

White Balance is about getting accurate color. You set a custom white balance with a reference card in all light conditions if you really want accurate color. If you capture a raw file you can alter WB during conversion to RGB and either use know temp/tint values or again reference a target during conversion.

Always in my camera bag:

View attachment 64490

Joe

So to take this image, what were your settings/setup? Auto WB or flash?

Always in my camera bag:

View attachment 64490

Joe

So to take this image, what were your settings/setup? Auto WB or flash?

I only save raw files so the camera settings are meaningless to me. The photo was taken in direct sun. I typically white balance my photos during raw conversion by either knowing the color temp/tint values, sampling a reference value in the photo or, when accuracy is really important to me, taking a photo of this color checker card.

Joe

I only save raw files so the camera settings are meaningless to me. The photo was taken in direct sun. I typically white balance my photos during raw conversion by either knowing the color temp/tint values, sampling a reference value in the photo or, when accuracy is really important to me, taking a photo of this color checker card.

Joe

I guess I'm a little confused. So on import from RAW files, does the camera not save the WB settings?

i

Joe

I guess I'm a little confused. So on import from RAW files, does the camera not save the WB settings?

i

The camera will record the set WB, but it can be changed to whatever is desired in post. Raw files do not have any WB settings applied.

Joe

i

Nope. But then again I think it's really going to depend on the software you're using for raw conversion. If you use the converter supplied by the camera maker you may have the option of opening the raw file with access to the camera WB but normally no. In fact you'll find that the various raw converter vendors don't even agree with each other about their various Kelvin scales (they don't align around a standard) so you have to get accustomed to the one your using.

Joe

The reason I ask this is because I'm trying to improve my constancy in both my shooting and in post. White Balance seems to be my biggest problem.

Example, I shot a picture of my daughter the other day. Her room is pink and white and had an incandescent lamp as the only light. Focus was soft (ugh) but I couldn't for the life of me get the white balance correct. There were either too many pinks or it became too orange. It essentially became a daunting task. And I came up with a "well that's as good as it gets" kinda shot. Granted it's for my family and they love pictures of her. It's just one of those things that annoys me, and I want to improve in post in regard to WB.

The reason I ask this is because I'm trying to improve my constancy in both my shooting and in post. White Balance seems to be my biggest problem.

Example, I shot a picture of my daughter the other day. Her room is pink and white and had an incandescent lamp as the only light. Focus was soft (ugh) but I couldn't for the life of me get the white balance correct. There were either too many pinks or it became too orange. It essentially became a daunting task. And I came up with a "well that's as good as it gets" kinda shot. Granted it's for my family and they love pictures of her. It's just one of those things that annoys me, and I want to improve in post in regard to WB.

If you're saving camera JPEGs then you really want to take the trouble to set a custom WB for the light. A single incandescent lamp shouldn't be a problem as it's a single source. Reflections off colored walls is an entirely different issue.

Setting a custom WB works well for camera JPEGs. The auto-white balance function does not work. It can't work if you think about it, so that leaves you with set the custom WB or take the raw file into a converter for processing. Raw converters will have temp/tint scales and in use over time you can become familiar with some basic standards. The other option is to shoot a reference -- my mini color checker. You can then read the reference and transfer the temp/tint values to other photos taken in the same light.

Joe

Have you heard of WarmCards? WarmCards - White Balance Reference System

Designed NOT to give 'accurate' white balance, but instead to deliver PLEASING color.

Nice idea for anyone relying on the camera processing software -- you get the consistency of a custom WB (locked) setting and can bias the color warmer for more pleasing skin tones. Looks like a useful product.

Joe

Post up the image.

You got raw?

Joe

Most reactions

Back