What's new

Weather-Proofing

A/Ox4

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Nov 3, 2014
Messages
321
Reaction score
191
I recently purchased a D5300. I love this camera. Coming from a D3100 this camera is amazingly better. I also considered the D7100, which was more than I wanted to spend (well, so was the D5300 actually haha). The ONE feature I miss in the D7100 is weather proofing. Strangely I don't miss the dual dials. I do just fine with my dial and buttons.

The other night I found myself in the middle of a heavy downpour hugging the camera tight against me as I hunched over to protect it as I shot pictures. Eventually I got an umbrella and tucked the handle in my camera bag strap against my chest and that held it in place for 2 handed shooting while protected.

So how good is the 7100 weather proofing? Is it something I'll be kicking myself over? How much weather can a non sealed camera reasonably take? Light sprinkles? Monsoon rain?

9b5909113af0833bf6a10ecdc0f610c5.jpg
 
Remember its a two part system... Weather sealed body + weather sealed lens. If your lens isn't 'weather sealed' it doesn't matter if your body is :)

Check out the OP/TECH USA Rainsleeve (~$6.50 for a 2 pack)... They work great!
 
I once used my camera in rainy conditions and my lens wasn't water proof. I was too much in the photographers zone, like that place where you get tunnel vission and you are focused on something. That decision could come back to haunt me later down the line when moss or other things start to grow inside my lens. I'll just never do it again, and also you should buy that bag thing for extra protection. If you respect your gear, it will last you a lifetime.
 
Get a rain cover for your camera, it will be a lot cheaper than buying new equipment. As far as I'm concerned weatherproofing is great but can wear down over time or possibly have small leaks. You can also use a jumbo sized ziploc bag for emergencies, I keep a few in my bag for those unexpected downpours.
 
I've seen this done: get a large plastic bag and cut a round hold a little smaller than the lens front element. Place the hole in front of the lens and insert a clear UV etc. filter into the filter threads with the plastic bag being in the threads as well, this will seal the lens. Drape the bag over the camera and lens. You can either seal the opening of the bag with a tie or operate the camera with your hands through the opening.
 
My strap connects with a ball and socket type thingy. I remove the strap and put the camera in with the lens facing the opening and reattach the strap socket over the ball with the bag in between. You can see through the viewfinder clearlly but if you have live view it's workable. The stiff "zippers" on the opening of the bag help hold it ppen for taking the pictures and you can close it when you aren't. The camera is pretty well protected, even if you don't close the zipper with my setup the opening is hanging at the bottom facing down if the camera is hanging by the strap.
 
OP/TECH USA Rainsleeve - 18-Inch (2-Pack)
Keep a couple packs of Rainsleeves in your gear bag.

Nikon doesn't make any weather-proof DSLRs.

Some of Nikon's DSLRs (even some of the entry-level Nikon's) have extra weather sealing that makes them more weather resistant than Nikon's lower tier of entry-level DSLRs.
Nikon's DSLRs that have a full magnesium chassis have the best weather sealing.
Note: Some entry-level Nikon DSLRs have a magnesium top and back plate, but not a full magnesium chassis - D7X00, D6X0, D750, Df.
 
OP/TECH USA Rainsleeve - 18-Inch (2-Pack)
Keep a couple packs of Rainsleeves in your gear bag.

Nikon doesn't make any weather-proof DSLRs.

Some of Nikon's DSLRs (even some of the entry-level Nikon's) have extra weather sealing that makes them more weather resistant than Nikon's lower tier of entry-level DSLRs.
Nikon's DSLRs that have a full magnesium chassis have the best weather sealing.
Note: Some entry-level Nikon DSLRs have a magnesium top and back plate, but not a full magnesium chassis - D7X00, D6X0, D750, Df.
This looks like the best solution to me
 
I'm going to have to pick up a few of those rain sleeves. But I also like the back up option of cutting a hole in a bad and securing it with a filter.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom