Wedding photography for a 50mm f1.4?

o hey tyler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I was approached by my friend the other night, and asked by her if I'd be willing to do the photography for her mother and soon to be step father's wedding.

Right now, I have a 18-70mm 3.5 kit lens, and a 75-300mm f4 telephoto. So, I thought it would be a decent rate if she just bought me the Sony 50mm f1.4 to take photos for the wedding for my A-200. I think this is a fair trade, since I've never done any kind of wedding photography before. What are other people's thoughts on this? Reasonable/unreasonable?

I think you'd be better off with a wide zoom lens like a 12-24 f/2.8 or maybe a 24-70 f/2.8.

At 50mm you're going to be doing a lot of manual zooming in and out, which may not always be possible. Your slower glass 'might' work depending on your lighting, but I'd venture to guess they won't be fast enough.

If it were me and I wanted the best possible outcome with a few lenses I'd have them rent me a 12-24, 24-70, and 70-200, all at f/2.8 :D

well, is the wedding going to be indoors? or outdoors? and during the day? or evening?

if it's indoors then I would probably want something else for it.

and they do know your level of experience in wedding photography etc. right?

I think you'd be better off with a wide zoom lens like a 12-24 f/2.8 or maybe a 24-70 f/2.8.

At 50mm you're going to be doing a lot of manual zooming in and out, which may not always be possible. Your slower glass 'might' work depending on your lighting, but I'd venture to guess they won't be fast enough.

If it were me and I wanted the best possible outcome with a few lenses I'd have them rent me a 12-24, 24-70, and 70-200, all at f/2.8 :D

Hmmm... You have a good point. I was mainly thinking that if I can get a good vantage point that I could use my telephoto which works pretty well. But I can definitely see where the kit lens might be a little too slow. That's why I really wanted the 50mm.

I really do want to get SOME kind of lens/money out of it though. So asking them to rent me stuff would leave me loot-less (so to speak). Haha. My Girlfriend has a Canon with a 50mm 1.8, so maybe I will play around with that for a little bit and see how it fits my liking.

well, is the wedding going to be indoors? or outdoors? and during the day? or evening?

if it's indoors then I would probably want something else for it.

and they do know your level of experience in wedding photography etc. right?

Yes, I've told her I've never done a wedding before, and that's why I am asking such a cheap price. I would hope it would be out doors, but they are talking about some time in October, and that could be a little cold in Maine.

I have very few details right now. I am hoping to learn more soon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back