Wedding snaps - Oct 09, 2004 :edit: Color photos added

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Pictures from a wedding that we attended today - Wedding

Available light, Manual mode (first time), tenD, Canon 50mm 1.4 (99.9%), Tamron 28-300, wide open, zero cropping (that too, my first time), chimping (I should say reviewing. Oohs and Aahs were less :)), RAW, PS-CS.
Comments/Critique welcome, as usual.

Thanks in advance!

Awesome gallery you have and thanks for sharing.

Now for technical stuff: you say you shoot in raw, how many images can you get on a 512 card? you are obviously doing more than desaturating; what settings in channel mixer are you using or maybe you acheive another route?????

Thanks shutterbug, jonmikal.

jonmikal said:
Now for technical stuff: you say you shoot in raw, how many images can you get on a 512 card?
Around 80 images.

jonmikal said:
you are obviously doing more than desaturating; what settings in channel mixer are you using or maybe you acheive another route?????
I'm a novice in PS. Picked up bits and pieces primarily from TPF.

Workflow:
-ISO800, Manual mode, Wide Open, a few + and - depending on the lighting conditions.

-Shoot in RAW

-Open RAW in Photoshop CS
I love the RAW Processing in PSCS

-Fiddle with the Temperature if needed.

-Edit the White Balance IF needed.
I did not make any changes for yesterday's wedding.

-Increase the Shadow.

-Fiddle with the Exposure only IF needed.
One of the pictures from yesterday's wedding was underexposed. Increased the exposure in PS. I think thats a great feature for "accidents".

-Then I play with the Vignetting tool IF needed.

-Save the file As TIFF.

-Save As another TIFF for Black and White

-Convert the image in to BW using the Gradient Map tool
(Image > Adjustments > Gradient Map) I picked it from Voodoocat's tutorial.

-Then I control the Shadows and Highlights -
(Adjustments > Shadow/Highlight.)
This is a beautiful beautiful tool that I discovered last night!

-Adjust the Curves (Image > Adjustments > Curves) IF there needed.

-Sharpen it IF needed.

-Save the TIFF file, and Save As JPEG for Web.

Hope this is clear.

I think the happy couple will be very glad to have these in 20 years. What a wonderful gift. :)

Curiosity here- why tiff instead of psd format? On my iBook tiff is a PITA as they open verrrrrry slowwwwwwly. PSD files aren't exactly speed demons either, but they're faster than tiff.

oh no!!! b&w!!! hah kidding... great job! I like those photos... but I prefer color photography. But even though those are neat :)

photobug said:
Curiosity here- why tiff instead of psd format? On my iBook tiff is a PITA as they open verrrrrry slowwwwwwly. PSD files aren't exactly speed demons either, but they're faster than tiff.

No particular reason. Just have not thought of it yet. If both these file formats do not "loose" the data, may be I should try psd. Other than the speed which you were mentioning, is there any serious differences between TIFF and PSD?

Daniel, nice work. My personal faves are #11, 13, 18, 23, 31.

I just came back from a wedding shoot, and I love to see what others do. Great work!

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Alison, for indoors with/without windows, what kind of lighting do you use? Do you have the speed light (assuming you use one) afixed to a bracket?

I use a Quantum flash with a huge bracket. Today because there were three of us shooting we were able to remove the flash and use various bounce/fill techniques. Still though, it was really dark and a pain to get good lighting. I really think we need to shoot with a higher ISO and not have the flash be working so hard. Next wedding I am going to shoot the reception at at least 400 and see how it goes. Outdoors is much better!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back