Went out shooting last night, light streaming, down town, waterfront

mitsugirly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was bored and back when I first got my camera in January, it was freezing and snowing. I couldn't wait until summer to go out on a nice night to shoot.

Well, I'm just now getting around to it.
biggrin.gif

Here's a couple of the pics from last night.

The conservatory lit up at night. It is suppose to change colors...but didn't when I was taking a picture...maybe because as soon as I got there a guy came running out with a megaphone saying "the park is closed, the park is closed". I yelled back that I was a photographer just trying to take a picture (because I know a bunch of photog's have done it and posted them on flikr). By the time I took about 5 pictures and we were driving off their were guys in SUITS running across the field. Security? IDK...it was like a movie scene or something. Very strange!

3709717921_869c30d1a1.jpg

There are a bunch of concrete blocks lined up and down the waterfront with 2 fountains shooting water out of them on each. I parked the suv behind the water and used the concrete to stable the camera (trying to keep the water from splashing all over it) and shot into the water using a long exposure. The star light you see in the middle of it is my headlight. I wish I could have pulled back further to capture the top of the water in it. I'll have to try this again some time in the future.

3709717159_10bdf42e3d.jpg

This is downtown on the waterfront at night. I was practicing my long exposure and trying to get the reflection off the waterfront. I wasn't taking into consideration the rule of thirds...so don't yell at me. lol

3710527744_0044327028.jpg

Another down town building that has been lit up red, white and blue since the 4th of July. I believe they light it up different colors at different times of the year. When I first photographed it in the winter, it was white.

3709716187_da913036d8.jpg

Here are some light streaming that I did as well on the way there. Shot over the freeway.

If you look at the right...the few lines that are taller than the other are a semi going by. It cut off right when it was midway down.
tongue.gif

3710526380_3a97bea14e.jpg

3709715319_ef1d05150b.jpg

I like the second one the best. The light coming through the fountain creates an interesting effect. I think it could probably benefit from a just slightly looser cropping.

The conservatory lit up at night. It is suppose to change colors...but didn't when I was taking a picture...maybe because as soon as I got there a guy came running out with a megaphone saying "the park is closed, the park is closed". I yelled back that I was a photographer just trying to take a picture (because I know a bunch of photog's have done it and posted them on flikr). By the time I took about 5 pictures and we were driving off their were guys in SUITS running across the field. Security? IDK...it was like a movie scene or something. Very strange!

I love when photography makes me feel like a public enemy of some kind. :)

All in all, the pictures are pretty good. But if I may add my two cents, I really really don't like the neon highlight on the sides of the image. I find them extremely distracting. It's almost hard to take in the image at all. Other people may feel differently, that's just my feeling.

Thanks for your imput.

I can't crop any looser because that was the entire pic. That's why I was saying that I wish I could have pulled back further because I didn't get the top of the fountain in it.

The color matching strip/border was something that I got from a professional photographer. He does all his pics like that and I think they are amazing. Although he makes the black border above the color match really huge. I don't have the guts to do that yet. It's just a matter of opinion. I always appreciate any opinions or c&c. ;)

I work nights so I get to appreciate shots that most people don't see (like yours):mrgreen:

Right now I have a prosumer P&S :er:. Looking to move up to a DSLR :mrgreen: ,still haven't figured that out yet :confused:.

All in all great shots though....:mrgreen: Green with envy.

Jack

Most reactions

Back