What's new

Wet Rocks

sleist

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Nov 8, 2009
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
2,368
Location
Somewhere in Florida
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
201207051198-X3.jpg



C&C welcome.
Thanks for looking.

Tough lighting at bad time of day. 10 stop ND filter. More post processing than I thought I'd need.
D700 with Sigma 50mm f/1.4, f/16, 30 sec., ISO 320.
 
I love it overall, although maybe it's a touch underexposed? Especially to image right.

Thanks! I might have gone a bit too far with the black point adjustment. Still undecided, but I see what you're talking about.
 
Focus stacking? I'm asking because everything, front to back, seems to be in sharp focus. Whatever the case, fantastic processing here. I don't think this is underexposed – you just chose to convey a certain mood (and guide the eye through the frame in a certain way) and it works... at least for me.

I'm sure you're already working on the B&W version :)
 
For me the water is to blurred and is not white enough (under exposed) where it is falling.
 
great pic , enough nit picking ! i like it , i'm sure you do as well . jeez
 
No focus stacking. This is just the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 at f/16. I was worried that diffraction might soften the image - guess not ;)
I liked this lens on the D90, but it is really fantastic on the D700.
A completely different piece of glass. (same is true for the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D)
I like glass with character, even if it's not considered "perfect" by the pixel peepers.

I have quite a few of these shots from this weekend - hiking in NH.
I did play with some B&W, but this shot really works with the natural brown tones - for me anyway.
I desaturated after adjusting curves and contrast, but total monotone seemed to take away more that it gave in this case.

Perhaps I'll post a conversion - later. ;)

Thanks for commenting!

Steve
 
I especially like the detail in the shadows in the front red-ish rock... dead center, bottom.
 
All comments are welcome. I value opinions - even if I might not agree.
It's very easy to get tunnel vision when you've been working on the same pic for a while.
I think the comment about the darkness on the right was a valid observation.
I don't think I'll change this pic as a result, but I value the perspective.

I have no problem with someone posting a negative comment after taking the time to actually look at my shot with a critical eye.
It's far more useful than an "attaboy" on a shot that I know is flawed.

my 2 cents.
 
My first instict with this would be to go B&W but after looking at it more I agree that the earth tones actually give it something that you'd lose in B&W.
 
I don't think this is underexposed – you just chose to convey a certain mood (and guide the eye through the frame in a certain way) and it works... at least for me.
Works for me too. :biggrin:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom