What about this one? C&C

You metered off the bird and the meter was fooled into underexposing the entire shot. Also, the bird's beak is soft.
OMGSTFU

I hate it when people miss the friggin point anymore.

The photo here look pretty good except the white detail is a bit overexposed. Not too bad but this is also due part to the harsh lighting. Can't go wrong with what you did. The softness to the bird looks like your not using the best of lens and the plant below seems to be a little sharper. Manual focus or setting your focus point to center and then recomposing will help you a bit there. Keep on practicing.

Even looks like the bird got a bug!

Now, it's just a picture of a bird. The first (framed) shot put the bird in his element and was much better.
Yes, the white is a tad overexposed and you lost detail in some of the white. Might have been correctable. Dunno, I wasn't there. Wildlife doesn't pose at photos orders.
Very good picture overall. Not great but very good.

The use of an 18% gray card or exposure compensation with the other modes would fix this.
can you explain what does it mean?

thank you all, i kinda got lost :)

To prevent your meter from being fooled by all-white or all-black subjects, you can meter off an 18% gray card (can be bought at a photo store or online) and use the settings from that card instead of the bird in this case. You can also calibrate your hand so that it can be used as a gray card but first you'd need something that's 18% gray to calibrate it with. Google 18% gray card and you'll get a bunch of more detailed info about this.

To those that are going all OMGROFLCAKES about me nitpicking . . . . he asked for C&C. I'm trying to help him by pointing out what I see as being wrong. I know it's a hard composition but I believe I'm helping a ton more than the 3 of you who are just looking to start fights and not contributing to the OP's bettering of his shots.

The use of an 18% gray card or exposure compensation with the other modes would fix this.
can you explain what does it mean?

thank you all, i kinda got lost :)

To prevent your meter from being fooled by all-white or all-black subjects, you can meter off an 18% gray card (can be bought at a photo store or online) and use the settings from that card instead of the bird in this case. You can also calibrate your hand so that it can be used as a gray card but first you'd need something that's 18% gray to calibrate it with. Google 18% gray card and you'll get a bunch of more detailed info about this.

To those that are going all OMGROFLCAKES about me nitpicking . . . . he asked for C&C. I'm trying to help him by pointing out what I see as being wrong. I know it's a hard composition but I believe I'm helping a ton more than the 3 of you who are just looking to start fights and not contributing to the OP's bettering of his shots.

thank you so much :)
i googled it already.next time i will try to do it better :) and btw i'm she ;)

Maybe next time just explain to the bird that the harsh lighting conditions are not ideal and ask him to sit tight until you can set up your octobank to fill in the shadows... :lol:

the exposure is actually about as good as he's going to get it given the circumstances... and typically when you have any subject that is SOLID white like that, you're going to get these kinds of results, unless they are surrounded by other very bright (white) things. Literally unavoidable under normal circumstances.
Completely agree :) the exposure looks fine to me.

I know he said C&C but as a new member here I have seen some people take the technicality aspect to a whole new ball game. Perhaps is just me how I am seeing things, but I would much rather prefer a constructive aspect. Hey man you’re picture looks good but I noticed that it is a bit overexposed etc.. You could’ve tried the following settings etc. to help the person out.

Or I did not like this picture, and I noticed that it is underexposing, here is what you could’ve tried etc..Just coming out and stating it’s underexposing makes it seem like it’s just someone bashing another person’s attempt, I know we can’t all please everyone it’s just my opinion.
Remember we all have flaws and nobody is perfect I actually think it’s an awesome picture hell way better than anything I have taken to date, if you don’t mind me asking maka what equipment where you working with so that I know for my own knowledge since I am learning and trying to digest all that there is to DSLR.

Once again great picture “Maka”

I know he said C&C but as a new member here I have seen some people take the technicality aspect to a whole new ball game. Perhaps is just me how I am seeing things, but I would much rather prefer a constructive aspect. Hey man you’re picture looks good but I noticed that it is a bit overexposed etc.. You could’ve tried the following settings etc. to help the person out.

Or I did not like this picture, and I noticed that it is underexposing, here is what you could’ve tried etc..Just coming out and stating it’s underexposing makes it seem like it’s just someone bashing another person’s attempt, I know we can’t all please everyone it’s just my opinion.
Remember we all have flaws and nobody is perfect I actually think it’s an awesome picture hell way better than anything I have taken to date, if you don’t mind me asking maka what equipment where you working with so that I know for my own knowledge since I am learning and trying to digest all that there is to DSLR.

Once again great picture “Maka”

thank you for a very mice C&C, i'm here to learn and i really need some good advices, i know sometimes peoples comments can be harsh but so far it's ok with me :) and this picture was taken in a really bad condition: i was trying to capture the bird and at the same time i was looking to my 3 years old son not to jump in the water :) so i think this picture came out good :)
equipments that i used was canon 50d and canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
and i didn't metered on the bird i just put my camera on 22f/320 iso 320 i learned it from the book "the nature complete guide to professional field techniques" by john shaw, this book is for film photography but i thought it was same for digital so... this is what happened :) (and sorry for my english still learning)

Most reactions

Back