What camera should I buy?

rushabPmore

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've decided to make photography my hobby. I want to get a mid range camera (is that a good idea or is lower better for now?), I don't plan on upgrading for a year or two, I figure it will take me some time and a lot of practice to go for something better if need be later on. My budget is around $500, it can be a little more if it makes sense. I keep browsing on amazon and I feel overwhelmed as I know nothing about these cameras but I really want one. I've read a few posts here and there and watched some stuff on youtube, however I don't know anyone I can ask irl and I just would like for someone to make sense of buying a camera. Do I need the Canon EOS Rebel T6 with bundle (I don't know what I'm looking at in those dslr bundles and I don't know if it's a deal or trash) for $ 550 on amazon (can I post a link at what I'm looking at or can you guys pull it up by searching amazon?) or would just a camera and a certain lense do it for awhile? I would like to be able to use it to take pictures of my husbands band playing indoors/outdoors at night and during the day. I would love to be able to take nice shots of my kids playing sports (football & ballet) as well as close ups. I think these cameras can handle taking a decent video as well? It would be used for birthdays or holidays (where on the camera would the sound be recorded or is that an extra? I can't figure this one out at all, sorry if it is dumb to ask.) See this is where I wouldn't mind going over the budget because I was planning on buying a video cam that can record at night but if a photo cam can handle the occasional video that would be awesome and square away that purchase. I just don't know if it would be able to record in the dark is that even a thing with these types of cameras?

Thank you for reading through my scattered brain post, please help

Hello and welcome, always buy the best camera you can possibly afford.....

You have asked a very good question, most of the cameras now days are good enough for what you want. I shoot bands and vocalists in the day time and in the evening, but I use Fuji X cameras. Best of luck on your journey into photography.

I use to have the Canon 70D fantastic IQ and very good and usable iso of up to 6400 if you HAD to get the shot, or any of the D models so have a good look around first before you buy.
If you do get a D model get the Nifty Fifty with it ( 50mm ) if you can a great little lens.
PS: video is good on the D models.

Here is a good deal but UK Amazon, have a look on your countries Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00T9OEYQO/ref=psdc_14335821_t3_B01CU8JQ2W

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Welcome to the forum.

At your price point, you'll probably get a better value if you shop for a "refurbished" camera. Both Canon's online store and Nikon's online store offer refurbished cameras. They come with the same warranty as new camera and generally you cannot distinguish them from a new camera. Often there was nothing wrong with the camera at all... the consumer changed their mind and returned it. But it legally cannot be sold as "new" so they mark it down, but it in new packaging with new documentation, etc. and sell it as a refurb.

You can get a "refurbished" Canon EOS T6 with the 18-55mm kit lens for $299. It'll come with everything *except* a memory card (but cards are cheap). But for $499 you can get something a with a few more features.

It doesn't really matter if you get a Canon or a Nikon or a Sony or... etc. etc.

What's going to make the difference in image quality, is your willingness to take the time to learn about "exposure" ... and "light" and lenses.

For any given shot, the sensor just needs to record light. You can give it a ton of light for a fraction of a second. You can give it a trickle of light... but for many many seconds. You'd think that as long as the total quantity is the same that you should get an identical image... but it turns out HOW you create the exposure will make a difference in the creative quality of the image.

I did mention light... it isn't so much just the "light" but rather than interplay of both light & shadow. If something with lots of 3D texture has a light source located at the camera, you wont notice the texture because the lighting is "flat". But if it is lit from the side, the 3D surface will create tiny shadows that queue the eyes to recognize that this thing has texture. That's just the general idea but you can take this much farther.

The point is... the camera itself isn't where the magic happens... that's all on you. The community here is pretty good about giving some pointers on where to start.

Meanwhile I also mentioned "lenses".

You can get a camera with a permanent lens attached and your choices are limited to just what you can do with that one lens.

Cameras that allow you to remove one lens and attach another will offer more flexibility. Turns out there is no "best" lens. Also, you're not going to be able to afford a pile of lenses. I have a pile of lenses... but it took YEARS to collect them. So unless you're rich... start with one. Then over time, add another, and so on.

You mentioned Amazon. You need to be careful.

There's "Amazon" and then there are "Amazon Marketplace" sellers. Amazon blends all the stuff together so if you don't read carefully you can get burned.

AVOID buying anything sold as a "bundle" (no, you do NOT want all those extra things like filters, extra lenses, tripods, bags, etc. etc.) It isn't so much that you don't want to own a tripod... or an extra lens... it's that you DEFINITELY DO NOT WANT the "lenses" or "tripods" that they include with those "bundles" (they are garbage).

Just get a camera with a kit lens made by the manufacturer (e.g. if a Canon, then get it with Canon's kit lens. If a Nikon, get it with Nikon's kit lens, etc.) If they include a bag... ok (not too much harm can be done with a bag). But avoid anything extra that attaches to the camera.

It is possible to buy a camera as a "body only" (camera will not have a lens). You probably want the "body + lens" kit. The "kit" lens for most DSLRs is an 18-55mm zoom. It has a modest zoom range (nothing crazy long) but it's a great start and you can also select an additional lens later.

You will also need a memory card (usually an SDHC card) but those aren't very expensive.

As Tim mentions above- stay away from the "on-line bundle" type deals! The standard 18-55mm kit lens is adequate, and if it has an in-lens stabilizer option, so much the better. The Canon Rebel T6 or the Nikon D3300 or D3400 are good choices in an APS-C d-slr with video capabilities. If you want sports close-up shots of a high-school athlete, you'll likely want another, longer, faster-aperture lens that admits more light than the 18-55 zoom.

Welcome to the forum.

At your price point, you'll probably get a better value if you shop for a "refurbished" camera. Both Canon's online store and Nikon's online store offer refurbished cameras. They come with the same warranty as new camera and generally you cannot distinguish them from a new camera. Often there was nothing wrong with the camera at all... the consumer changed their mind and returned it. But it legally cannot be sold as "new" so they mark it down, but it in new packaging with new documentation, etc. and sell it as a refurb.

You can get a "refurbished" Canon EOS T6 with the 18-55mm kit lens for $299. It'll come with everything *except* a memory card (but cards are cheap). But for $499 you can get something a with a few more features.

It doesn't really matter if you get a Canon or a Nikon or a Sony or... etc. etc.

What's going to make the difference in image quality, is your willingness to take the time to learn about "exposure" ... and "light" and lenses.

For any given shot, the sensor just needs to record light. You can give it a ton of light for a fraction of a second. You can give it a trickle of light... but for Nox Showbox Mobdro many many seconds. You'd think that as long as the total quantity is the same that you should get an identical image... but it turns out HOW you create the exposure will make a difference in the creative quality of the image.

I did mention light... it isn't so much just the "light" but rather than interplay of both light & shadow. If something with lots of 3D texture has a light source located at the camera, you wont notice the texture because the lighting is "flat". But if it is lit from the side, the 3D surface will create tiny shadows that queue the eyes to recognize that this thing has texture. That's just the general idea but you can take this much farther.

The point is... the camera itself isn't where the magic happens... that's all on you. The community here is pretty good about giving some pointers on where to start.

Meanwhile I also mentioned "lenses".

You can get a camera with a permanent lens attached and your choices are limited to just what you can do with that one lens.

Cameras that allow you to remove one lens and attach another will offer more flexibility. Turns out there is no "best" lens. Also, you're not going to be able to afford a pile of lenses. I have a pile of lenses... but it took YEARS to collect them. So unless you're rich... start with one. Then over time, add another, and so on.

You mentioned Amazon. You need to be careful.

There's "Amazon" and then there are "Amazon Marketplace" sellers. Amazon blends all the stuff together so if you don't read carefully you can get burned.

AVOID buying anything sold as a "bundle" (no, you do NOT want all those extra things like filters, extra lenses, tripods, bags, etc. etc.) It isn't so much that you don't want to own a tripod... or an extra lens... it's that you DEFINITELY DO NOT WANT the "lenses" or "tripods" that they include with those "bundles" (they are garbage).

Just get a camera with a kit lens made by the manufacturer (e.g. if a Canon, then get it with Canon's kit lens. If a Nikon, get it with Nikon's kit lens, etc.) If they include a bag... ok (not too much harm can be done with a bag). But avoid anything extra that attaches to the camera.

It is possible to buy a camera as a "body only" (camera will not have a lens). You probably want the "body + lens" kit. The "kit" lens for most DSLRs is an 18-55mm zoom. It has a modest zoom range (nothing crazy long) but it's a great start and you can also select an additional lens later.

You will also need a memory card (usually an SDHC card) but those aren't very expensive.

i haave never seen such a beautiful explaination !!!
thankyou sir

You have been given a lot of top answers here and its now up to you to read through and see what you think you need your camera for.
When I began in this I went to Hardly Normals (Harvey Norman) and I had been looking at the junk mail paper. In there was 2 start up sets. One Nikon and the other Canon.
I think I went with the canon and only to find as we got there the last one was walking out as we went in. I asked if I could make u a set with the Sony A390 and a 18/55mm and a 55/300mm lens. This all came in to close to the price the combination sets they were selling.
I had no idea what I was going to be taking photos of once our sons wedding was done. So I went to one of those TAFE courses and the lady who done the class was really on the ball.
I had this camera for I think close to 3 years and I did find that now I was up to changing a few things but my camera wasn't up to it. And I had picked another Sony camera as I had bought a few lens in this time and I wanted them to fit right on the next one. So I sold the old camera and let it go with the lens I got it with. I really should have kept the 55/300mm lens.
I had now got a few things that I liked to take and they were landscapes, old buildings, cars and Macro. I thin got the Tamron 150/600mm lens and birds now were a big part of my outings. And the results I was getting were good, well I thought so.
Now I am on my 3rd camera and its another Sony but this time its the A77ii and its is far better. But it took a while to get to this point. I have seen some people buy a DSLR and then go into a photography business and all they do is ask what should I charge and what setting should I use. These people I will not try to help, as I say learn your camera then go that way. But thats just me.
One thing I would say to add to the camera choice is the Nikon P900 or P1000. Down side is a smaller sensor size but as it reads it a bridge camera. I like mine and have got some okay results out of it. But I still have the Sony A77ii.
I think with this big mouth full google search the cameras you like and then start the delete a few that you feel you don't think you want or would use.
I hope this hasn't confused you more as that wasn't the intention. But I am sure you will find what you want in the long run.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back