What canon lens to use for food photography

rsmacaalay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I need your opinion on this one

I had an Olympus E520 with 18-180mm and later upgraded to Canon 60D with the kit lens 18-135mm, I am doing mostly food photography which I use in my food blog (Ang Sarap (A Tagalog word for "It's Delicious")) now that I have a wider audience I want my photos to look better(to please more viewers) hence planning to buy a Canon 50mm lens which I heard that is good for food photography. Now I am looking at the f1.4 and f1.8 MK II, I read alot about both lenses and I have some worries in both of them so I need the professional guidance on people who have used both perhaps in similar application.

Here are my worries

*f1.4*
Looks like a very fragile lens according to what I read online, is this true that it is susceptible to AF locking when bumped?
If I buy this do I need to prepare my self to go for repairs often?
while $500 is not that expensive the real expense for this one is $500+ whatever future repair costs will be.
I also read some articles that it is soft at wide open.
Is it worth the extra bucks to jump from 1.8 to 1.4?

*f1.8 mk II*
Flimsier than 1.4 but the price can justify, my big worry is the bokeh quality but if I use subtle backgrounds rather than repetitive lines will the bokeh still be harsh?
I know the AF is slow at low light but I am used to is as the 18-180 is slow in low light as well, is this lens any better in terms of AF?

Any sugestions on what should I buy? If you have some sample food or even product photos using both lens you can also post as that would help a lot.
My max budget buying a lens is in the price range of f1.4 so f1.2 is not an option nor the Sigma 50mm f1.4. Also please take note I want to use that lens for low light handheld and portraits but mainly food.

I need your opinion on this one

I had an Olympus E520 with 18-180mm and later upgraded to Canon 60D with the kit lens 18-135mm, I am doing mostly food photography which I use in my food blog (Ang Sarap (A Tagalog word for "It's Delicious")) now that I have a wider audience I want my photos to look better(to please more viewers) hence planning to buy a Canon 50mm lens which I heard that is good for food photography. Now I am looking at the f1.4 and f1.8 MK II, I read alot about both lenses and I have some worries in both of them so I need the professional guidance on people who have used both perhaps in similar application.

Here are my worries

*f1.4*
Looks like a very fragile lens according to what I read online, is this true that it is susceptible to AF locking when bumped?
If I buy this do I need to prepare my self to go for repairs often?
while $500 is not that expensive the real expense for this one is $500+ whatever future repair costs will be.
I also read some articles that it is soft at wide open.
Is it worth the extra bucks to jump from 1.8 to 1.4?

*f1.8 mk II*
Flimsier than 1.4 but the price can justify, my big worry is the bokeh quality but if I use subtle backgrounds rather than repetitive lines will the bokeh still be harsh?
I know the AF is slow at low light but I am used to is as the 18-180 is slow in low light as well, is this lens any better in terms of AF?

Any sugestions on what should I buy? If you have some sample food or even product photos using both lens you can also post as that would help a lot.
My max budget buying a lens is in the price range of f1.4 so f1.2 is not an option nor the Sigma 50mm f1.4. Also please take note I want to use that lens for low light handheld and portraits but mainly food.

I have a Canon 50/1.4 and use it all the time. It's vastly more durable than the 50/1.8II, and renders bokeh much nicer than the f/1.8. Yes, it is totally worth the extra bucks for the f/1.4 model. Any lens is going to be soft wide open, btw. Stop down to f/2.5 or smaller and you'll get some mighty sharp images.

I love shooting food photos with long lens.

Most Food photographers that I know use the 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Two things:
1) You need to shop somewhere else. This lens is $400 at B&H right now, not $500. I know there are small price differences from shop to shop, but you're talking about a 25% price increase.
2) You think this is going to need repairs so you're considering a cheap piece of crap like the 1.8 version instead...? I have heard of that lens literally falling apart in people's hands...

As you seem to have your focal length pretty sorted canon also do a 50mm macro. I would imagine this to be a better option for food photography.

I visited your site and took a look at your photos. If the photos were taken with your current setup, then I do not know if upgrading your lens will make much different. Maybe I just don't much about food photography.

By the way, the photos were not bad at all except some blown highlight.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back