What computer/screen is Best

mkaslam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys ...

I am new to digital photography and now looking to buy a computer that will fit in my needs for photo editing. I am looking at two options:

1. Dell M1530 (Notebook) with 15.4 Inch Screen plus Hi Resolution 1440 X 1200 with glossy LED display

2. Apple IMac (Desktop) with 20 inch screen 1600X1200 resolution but no LED display but glossy LCD display

3. Open to other options.

Can anyone recommend what type of screen/computer is ideal for photo editing?

I am looking to spend $1500.

Thanks.
progress.gif
http://www.photography.ca/Forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=5334

I have the iMac 24 and it is excellent for photo editing.

are you willing to build your own? if so you will get a far superior system to either of those.

they are both basically laptops which cause you to take a huge price increase for size over performance.

I finally left my bank account at Best Buy today and got a Samsung 24" LCD with 1920x1200 and 20,000:1 contrast. It's absolutely stunning.

Look for a good IPS or *VA LCD panel and avoid TN LCD panels like the horrible junk that they are.

Thanks guys for the responses....

I have small space to work in and that's why looking at the Imac (mini desktop) the dell notebook. However, I am definitely open to building my own system. There are too many buzz words in the market - LCD vs. LCD with LED backlighting vs. HD, Contrast ratio, glossy/matte, etc. etc. etc.

I would rather buy once but buy something that is going to last me for a while. At the sametime, I don't want to pay huge premium on something that only has a marginal improvement effect.

What would you guys recommend I build on?

I plan to edit pics in Adobe CS3 primiarly in RAW mode.

Most reactions

Back