What's new

What do I need next?

scorpion_tyr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Nov 15, 2009
Messages
579
Reaction score
60
Location
Longview, Texas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm new to the forum, and still pretty new to photography. I've been taking family portraits and pictures for friends and family for about a year now. I'm looking to broaden my horizons a bit, and I know I need some more equipment. I'm on a limited budget, so I'd just like to know what you guys think I should invest in next. I know this will be a lot of opinions, but that's what I'm looking for.

Here's what I have:

Canon EOS Rebel XT
Canon EFS 18-55mm 3.5-5.6
Canon EF 75-300mm 4-5.6
Canon EF 50mm 1.8
Digipower Battery Grip
Sunpak Digiflash 2800 External Flash
A decent tripod
1x, 2x, 4x Magnifiers
Canon remote shutter release
SanDisk Ultra II CF 4GB
DANE-ELEC CF 4GB
Canon backpack
Cleaning kits, UV filters, and a few other minor odds and ends.

My budget is anywhere from $200 - $1,000. So what should I get next?
 
200-1000 is a big range in budget and there is an endless amount of stuff we could recomend for you in that range - we really need some more direction from you to give you the most appropriate advice.

So firstly where do you think your biggest weakness (in terms of photographic gear) is? Do you find that you need more zoom on your lens; or perhaps lenses with a wider max aperture for indoors work; do you feel that need for a tripod and if so for what application (landscapes portraits etc...).
Or maybe you feel that you want to take things in a new direction - a studio lighting setup or maybe branch off into macro or wildlife or sports or landscape

Sit down and have good think about where you want to go and where you find weaknesses in your current setup. Then come back with some direction - that way you can get something that you will actually find a use for, rather than just something that several people recomended at random and ends up collecting dust on the shelf
 
I say go out and take lots of pictures. You'll find what you need next, by finding what is limiting you most.
 
If you dont know what you need then dont get it, save that cash and when the time comes and you come across something you actually need buy it. ;)


Edit: Oops! sorry didnt see bitters post, pretty much copied what he said. :lmao:
 
Your skill n style should determine the need.
When you realize 'i could have perfected that shot if I had..."
that's when it's time to spend
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom