What do you think about lenses that MF with a tiny ring on the END of the lens?

reg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't have any lenses that do that, but when I see Nikon and Canon people (might just be on their kit lenses? I know the pro long zooms don't do it like that for obvious reasons) doing it, their hand looks all contorted as they try to focus with 2 fingers rather than on a larger ring, similar to the zoom ring.

What's up with it, guys?

My 50mm is like that... Haha! I focus with my ring-finger, ecause if I use myindex I run the risk of gtting fingers in the shot... :p

I like it. I use my 55-200 more than my 18-55, so the 18-55 feels kinda awkward trying to manual focus with the ring near the back of the lense.

My guess is that those are just the cheap 'kit' lenses that aren't expected to be manually focused. What's the point of giving a lens a nice big focus ring when 95% of it's projected users will never take it out of auto focus?

I have (but no longer use) the Canon 18-55mm kit lens, and yes, the focus ring at the front of the lens sucks.

I do however use circular polarizers quite often and adjust the filter by twisting it at the front of the lens.

I like it. I use my 55-200 more than my 18-55, so the 18-55 feels kinda awkward trying to manual focus with the ring near the back of the lense.

I looked at the 55-200 and it doesn't look terrible, but on the D40 kit lens the end of it, INCLUDING what my fingers were on, moved back and forth as it focused. I'm used to being able to really twist on a ring.

yeah, I think it's the kit lenses too. But it's not that bad is it? Sure, it's nicer to have a good grip, but I've never thought 'this is stupid and impossible' while using the MF on my kit lens.
But I am buying a different lens soon with the big focus ring and I am looking forward to that.

pascal

this is annoying... same thing with having to switch your lens from af to m instead of just grabbing the focus ring and making an adjustment.... rinky dink...

I'm more troubled by lens that have focus ring move/spin when it autofocus. I sometime have finger resting in area and never know if that will in long run damage the AF motor.

My Olympus doesn't use a switch, you just focus it.

It's up for trade in Buying and selling....

;)

thanks thats awful tempting to make the switch to Olympus.... but the only lens I have that autofocus's on my D60 is the 18-200... and that one you can just grab the ring even if it's in af and twist away...

when i become a big boy and get a body that will autofocus the rest of my lenses are push/pull... so.. no annoying switch.......

Most reactions

New Topics

Back