What else do I need with a set of pocket wizards?

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm getting tired of py sync cords and their cheapness and breakability. So I will soon have enough to get a pair of pocket wizards but looking at the pictures and all the descriptions I am having a little trouble trying to figure out what else I need to make the set up work.

I will be mounting one to the 430ex and one on top of my rebel xt. As far as I know for my camera it just slides into the hot shoe and I'm set. But for the flash from what I can tell I will need a hotshoe/pc sync adapter like this one so I can plug the pocket wizard into it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/89982-REG/Hama_HA_6952_Hot_Shoe_Adapter_2.html

With that hot shoe adapter and the supplied PC-1 Miniphone to PC Cable that the wizard comes with will I be all set?

Here is the link to the pocket wizard
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/441353-REG/Pocket_Wizard_801125_Plus_II_Transceiver_Radio.html

You know those cheap wireless triggers on ebay work just as well and have the advantage that they slip onto the shoe port on the 430EX too. Oh and they are less than half the size :)

If you do go the pocket wizard route. That is correct since IIRC the 430EX doesn't have a PC sync port.

I've been thinking about going the ebay trigger route but I keep hearing mixed reports. Some people seem to be happy enough with them and only misfire every once in a while and then others can hardly even use them because they are constantly misfiring and then there are plenty of people in the middle. If I'm going to be using them on paying jobs tho I don't want to one have to explain to the customer "Sorry can you try and do that great once in a lifetime pose again.... my cheap trigger didn't go off :)" and two so I don't mis that shot :)

I know they are a lot of money tho.... it's either a set of those or a 17-50 2.8....... I think my main focus now is trying to get some cool lighting tho.

Still a chance I'll go with the ebay ones, I have to think about it a little more. I like tho that that pocket wizards have a MUCH better range. I dont need 1600 feet, thats just too crazy, but I can see myself coming to a situation where I might want lets say 50 or so and some of the ebay ones dont always work there.

Most reactions

Back