What Is It?

Dean_Gretsch

Papa
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A yummy pastry filling or confectionary masterpiece?

Staghorn Sumac Bloom.jpg

Nope, but some people know how to make a tea from it! It is the bloom of a Staghorn Sumac.

When the bloom turns dark red and stains your fingers, boil it in water. Strain it and add sugar to taste. Good hot or as an iced tea. The juice is kind of tart on it's own.

When the bloom turns dark red and stains your fingers, boil it in water. Strain it and add sugar to taste. Good hot or as an iced tea. The juice is kind of tart on it's own.
Yeah, they were showing that on a local outdoors show. I always thought Sumac was poison:cool:

Yeah, they were showing that on a local outdoors show. I always thought Sumac was poison:cool:
There are different sumacs -- poison sumac (Toxicodendron vernix) has the same stuff (urushiol) as poison ivy, it has white/grey berries. Staghorn sumac (rhus typhina) is not closely related to the bad stuff. The red/pink berries have a lemon-like flavor.

Most reactions

Back