What is the best monitor these days?

ToddSmith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been using a Sony Artisan monitor for the past five years and I swear by it. Unfortunately, I've logged over 12,000 hours on it and I know it's not going to last forever.

Does anyone know what is the most reliable monitor for color these days? I'm especially interested in something portable so I can tweak pictures when I travel.

Thanks,
Todd

Do u want the best is color on a CRT or do u want an LCD monitor?

For portability I would love LCD, but I'm not sure if the quality is a good as CRT (especially w/ regard to contrast). Any thoughts? With my current Sony Artisan (CRT) I can calibrate it so that it basically looks exactly how it will print. I depend on that kind of quality.

Thanks,
Todd

Welcome to the forum.

For the most accurate & reliable color, you will want a monitor with it's own LUT (look up table)...this way, the monitor does the calibration, rather than the video card.

A photographer I know, researched this a lot and recommends the NEC 90 series monitors with the Spectraview calibration package.

This can be expensive...many people are content to just use a regular monitor and a 3rd party calibration device like the Colorvision Spyder.

Thanks, Mike.

I've heard good things about the NEC 90 series too. I think it was on Luminous Landscape. I haven't heard of Spectraview... will check it out.

Does anyone know how the Wacom monitor does for color?

Todd

Which is the NEC LCD2490WUXi-BK with a iOne Display 2 Colorimeter + NEC's own very very good SpectraView calibration package.

I have a 2690 myself, and it was the best money I ever spent. No it's not the best monitor on the market, but it is far better than any CRT I have used (not for games) and a heck of a lot cheaper than some of the true legends of colour.

If you have unlimited budget look for the NEC 2180WG-LED-SV, or the new screen from HP. But for $3500+ they are gods amongst displays.

HP Dreamcolor LP2480zx boasts a 133% NTSC gamut coverage, compared to the NEC 90 wide series' 97%.

Displays like that must be a nightmere for non-colour managed apps. Try finding a colour managed video player :lol:

Does anyone know how the Wacom monitor does for color?

I haven't quantified it yet, but I've found the current Cintiqs to be very good for colour. The 21UX is something like an Eizo 220 that you can draw on.

Best,
Helen

The last year I worked in the CG department at university we got in a whole new set of Ezio ColorEdge monitors. Like this but whatever the spec were 2 years ago: http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/cg241w/index.asp I think they were $6,000 each. They're excellent... sure. I didn't try to compare them to anything so I dunno. I know that if you walk into any shop in Japan and ask what the "best" monitor is the answer is always "Eizo". And this has been true for about 8 or 10 years though that far back they were called "Nanao" and not "Eizo".

Last edited:
@Bifurcator Thanks for your comment. I keep hearing Eizo a lot too as top of the line. Didn't know they've been around that long.

@Helen I've seen videos of people using the Cintiq. I like the idea as long as the color is accurate. I like to avoid paper proofs whenever possible. What calibration system do you use with your Cintiq?

@Bifurcator Thanks for your comment. I keep hearing Eizo a lot too as top of the line. Didn't know they've been around that long.

Yeah they go way back and always associated with high quality displays!

As "Nanao" manufacturing from about '78 ~ '85 and as Eizo from about 1985 depending on what country you were in, till present. The Co. was founded in the late 60's tho. They got thier reputation for high quality color CRT monitors around 82 to 84 somewhere. They sold their first LCDs in 92. Their CRTs were highly sought after and high priced as well. There was another product brand they manufactured under too but I can't remember what it was - "Wako" or something like that.

I only know all that cuz I did their company profile in 2002 and again in 2003.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back