What lens should I start with?

ChickenFriedRyce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just wondering, should I go with an 18-70mm alone or would it be an investment to go along with an add 75-300mm?? (Saying that I will upgrade to another camera compatible with the same lenses??

Example:
A200K w/ 18-70mm $700
A200W w/ 18-70mm and 75-300mm $900

and then after awhile, I upgrade to an A700... let's say it'll be about $1000 (body only) by the time I upgrade?

If you're not sure if you need the tele or not, don't get it....yet. Just get the 18-70 and have some fun! Usually, when we buy lots of gear at once, we end up having 'favorites'...where we prefer lens A over lenses B and C....but getting gear one piece at a time, will make you appreciate each one more. IMO of course.

Example... I bought a lensbaby last week, and a Sigma 10-20 this week. Since the 10-20 came in, I haven't spent the time using and appreciating the lensbaby, even though it is capable of some really neat things!

while It certanly would be nice to have both lenses right off the bat it might be a better idea to just get the basic package and learn with it and then later when you do want to upgrade you might have a little more cash to invest in a better second lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back