What light is this guy using at the 1:06 mark?

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anybody identify the light the guy is using on his shoot through umbrella? You can see it clearly at the 1:06 mark. (closer to the 1:10 mark)

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks almost like a Norman pack&head setup, but newer than the ones I've seen. Probably a different brand.

Looks like the Quantum Q-flash Trio, powered by a Quantum battery. There are a few other, somewhat similar units, but the body and reflector scream "Q-flash". Norman, and Lumedyne both make "sort of similar" small flash units that run of off DC battery packs, and they have made them for decades now. There are also some other manufacturers who offer somewhat similar flash + battery systems for location flash.

A few years ago, the Trio system had a number of very serious 'issues' regarding its communication/self-shutdown/squelching,etc protocols with cameras, and there were some months-long running threads on problems on the dPreview lighting forum, with users and Quantum tech support people going back and forth, for literally, months on end. I suspect that those issues have been solved in newer units. Not to badmouth them, but I do see a number of "earlier" Q-flash systems come up for sale by owner in my relatively small-city pro dealership...

Most reactions

Back