What Macro Lens

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by M_Werner1, Apr 9, 2008.

1. YoungRebel

YoungRebel TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    what my question would be:
    what excactly is the difference between a macro and a non-macro lens other than how close you can get to the subject to get the macro?!

Let's say there were two Canon 100mm lenses on the market, one is macro and the other just normal:
    Of course the macro one will get outstanding macro shots, but will it have the identical quality and sharpness at non macro-shots as the non-macro lens will produce?

If yes, why isn't every lens macro compatible? build-cost?

I ask, because I thought about changing my 135mm L to the 100mm macro...

Thanks for clearing that up...

2. M_Werner1

M_Werner1 TPF Noob!

Well I am going to bite the bullet and just go for the Canon 60mm macro. Should have it coming to me in Scotland here this weekend so I am pretty pumped. Will let you all know my thoughts after I play around with it for a while. Thanks for all the help.
    Next step is a Flash but that is going to take some more research.
    -mW

3. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

The only difference between a macro and non-macro lens is how large the image turns out on your sensor. Technically speaking, a macro lens has a 1:1 reproduction ratio, which means that a 1cm sized object will be 1cm on your image sensor (or will cover about 40% of the frame), whereas a non-macro lens is anything below this amount. Also, macro lenses tend to be of better quality, although this is not necessarily the case.