What Macro Lens

M_Werner1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I have been thinking about investing into a macro lens for a while now. I will be using it to shoot furniture but it would be nice to double it as a portrait lens. I was looking at the Tamron 70mm I believe it is or the Canon 60mm efs. But I am not to sure about the efs incase I ever wanted to upgrade from my XTi. Any one got any advice?? Thanks

When I had my XTi I went with the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro and don't regret it a bit. I still use it today on my 30D.

Here are some shots taken with both my 30D and XTi (you can download a higher resolution using the down arrow): http://www.motleypixel.com/reviews/index.htm?openfolder=Canon Primes/Canon EF 100mm f2.8/

The second choice I would recommend for macro is the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro (main drawback is that it trombones, a little louder with AF, and hunts a bit more than the Canon 100 in low light, BUT every bit as sharp as the Canon 100): http://www.motleypixel.com/reviews/index.htm?openfolder=Sigma Primes/Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro/

It's a BIG step in $$ for full frame, so for me it will be awhile. For macro and good portraits I would lastly recommend the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro: http://www.motleypixel.com/reviews/index.htm?openfolder=Canon Primes/Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro/

Hope this helps!

-Roy

How small is the furniture that you are shooting?

I am a cabinetmaker so I will be shooting all different sizes of furniture. I would like a macro for alot of the close ups and details of the craftsmanship. I also want to start taking more portrait shots

Seriously though. Do you really need a macro lens for furniture?

What if it was doll furniture??

I would like a macro for alot of the close ups and details of the craftsmanship.

Understandable in that aspect. Almost any focal range would work, since you don't have to worry about scaring your subject like you would with wildlife photography. If you get a shorter lens, you will just have to get closer to your work.

In this case I'm inclined to mention something else. A 60mm macro will have a larger depth of field than a 105mm macro which could be a consideration when showing off such things.

I was considering a shorter focal length but I would like to try and double it as a portrait lens. Thanks for all the suggestions

I was considering a shorter focal length but I would like to try and double it as a portrait lens. Thanks for all the suggestions
A 60mm will work just fine for portraits. Especially on your XTi, where it is effectively 96mm.

As said this is an arguement for, not against.

At 105mm I can say you need to be 6m away to take a full frame person sitting down. The 60mm is far more versatile for portraits, especially given space constraints.

okay thanks for the help i will stop by a shop this weekend when i go to london and take a look at the lens. thanks for the help

If you are not sure that you really want to get into macro then I would suggest a different track. Get the nifty fifty (fomm f1.8) for under $100 and a set of extension tubes. The Kenko's are nice and only about $150.

Extension tubes have no glass, they are just that, extension tubes. They allow you to use a standard lens for closeup/macro photography. If you would rather have something a little more in the portrait range, then you could also look at 85 f1.8. Real nice portrait lens.

Besides, if you find you don't want to do macro you can always sell the tubes are recover most of you money. If they are well taken care of and since they have no glass they will not depreciate much.

I would suggest the 50mm though unless you shop is larger than mine. I have a 25 X 45 foot wood shop and anything more than 50mm and I don't have enought room to get the shot of stuff I have finisehd in my build space.

what my question would be:
what excactly is the difference between a macro and a non-macro lens other than how close you can get to the subject to get the macro?!

Let's say there were two Canon 100mm lenses on the market, one is macro and the other just normal:
Of course the macro one will get outstanding macro shots, but will it have the identical quality and sharpness at non macro-shots as the non-macro lens will produce?

If yes, why isn't every lens macro compatible? build-cost?

I ask, because I thought about changing my 135mm L to the 100mm macro...

Thanks for clearing that up...

Well I am going to bite the bullet and just go for the Canon 60mm macro. Should have it coming to me in Scotland here this weekend so I am pretty pumped. Will let you all know my thoughts after I play around with it for a while. Thanks for all the help.
Next step is a Flash but that is going to take some more research.
-mW

what my question would be:
what excactly is the difference between a macro and a non-macro lens other than how close you can get to the subject to get the macro?!

Let's say there were two Canon 100mm lenses on the market, one is macro and the other just normal:
Of course the macro one will get outstanding macro shots, but will it have the identical quality and sharpness at non macro-shots as the non-macro lens will produce?

If yes, why isn't every lens macro compatible? build-cost?

I ask, because I thought about changing my 135mm L to the 100mm macro...

Thanks for clearing that up...
The only difference between a macro and non-macro lens is how large the image turns out on your sensor. Technically speaking, a macro lens has a 1:1 reproduction ratio, which means that a 1cm sized object will be 1cm on your image sensor (or will cover about 40% of the frame), whereas a non-macro lens is anything below this amount. Also, macro lenses tend to be of better quality, although this is not necessarily the case.

Most reactions

Back