What Makes a Good Photo?

gone_south

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just started a free wallpaper site, www.totallyfreewallpaper.com, where I have photographers submit their work. I know nothing about photography. If anyone has any tips on how to discriminate good photos from bad or some feedback on the photos that I already have check out my website and let me know. I want to have a good quality website.

Jess

Some will say that a good photo causes a reaction for the viewer. A good photo causes the viewer to have some thought or emotion.

Every viewer is different...so therefore, it's hard or impossible to strictly define photos as good or not good.

The only thing you can do...is to rely on judgement...it may be yours, or it may be that of visitors to your site etc.

One option would be to study art & art history...then after 10 years...you might have a better idea of good or not good...according to society...but that a $3 will get you a cup of coffee.

Good and bad are too subjective, I also dont believe schooling will teach you to discern if a photo is "good" or "bad" it may teach you to identify techniques, influences, and styles as well as the tevchnical merrit of a photo although all that stuff will just make you sound pretentious. I tend to judge a photo by the amount of time I look at it. In my opinion a good photo is one that you are drawn to, one that leads your eye around the picture and one that invokes some kind of emotion. To that end I may find a photo of a location of a fond memory much more interesting than someone else, does this make it a good photo though? For example I see many photos posted on this site that I believe are just plain bland no emotion, no subject, nothing to really look at although many replies to these posts say things such as "I love it" "Great photo" "wonderful composition, I wish I could take photos like that" now are these people wrong or is it me , there is no answer, I would suggest to post photos you like on your site although dont be too specific because everyone has different tastes

You know what they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Personally I’m not much of an arty person but I do like wildlife and landscapes so I like to see pictures of wildlife and landscapes. A good picture to me is one that says wow and makes me want to see it in real life.

Thats a great way to say it

If your site is sophisticated enough to track downloads by file, you can start with just about anything and fine-tune as you go along.

I persdonally distinguish three categories

1. good subject (a technically and composition-wise horrible image of an exciting subject will often get stunning applause from a general audience)

2. Technically good images

3. Images which are "well captured", this refers to composition, perspective, light, creativity ...

If you get all three right, you got a winner photo.

1. often just requires luck or planning

2. requires knowledge or experience AND concentration

3 .. well that is the really tough one I think ;)

for many purposes just 1 would be fine, if it is more a documentary collection, then 1 and 2 together are sufficient

read up on the 'formalities' of what makes a picture 'good', but ultimately it's up to the viewer. maybe have a way for people to vote on pictures on your site?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back