What Settings to Use on Nikon D80

BoxPhotographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am taking photo's for a graduation tomorrow, and it'll be a gym, dark, with only a few spot lights on stage. Afterward there will be a band playing.

After all this is over there is a dance which I do not know about the lighting. All I know is that it'll most likely be dark.

So what should I set everything to for the best photo's?

I think you just kind of asked us how to be a good photographer and learn it all in the 8 hours before your graduation. That's a bit of a tall order, I'm afraid.

I would suggest searching this forum for "event" and look for advice threads on shooting events as you'll probably find quit a bit of valuable info.

Aside from that, it's all about knowing exposure and setting your camera's shutter, aperature and ISO properly to meet the needs. If you have an external flash with some kind of diffuser or softbox, that will help. Using the built-in flash is not recommended. In your case, I would set it to Program or Auto (ideally not auto, but you may have to if there isn't enough light and you don't understand ISO)

Mind you, I'm making about a million assumptions here.

Good luck.

First off. I pray that you have an external flash. If you dont... well go get one. Your not going to get anything decent without one.
2. Id shoot at 800 ISO. It will show grain but it will be clean and fast.
3. What Lens do you plan shoot with?
The situation you are shooting in is not a fun one. Most likely you will need to do some good WB processing afterwards as well. Those gym lights are a pesky thing. So orange. I would recommend getting there ahead of time and shooting a ton to try and get something good. The best results are from practice. Without being there nobody can tell you exactly what to have set up. Good flash & good Glass will be your best bet.

Daniel Sach
Sachphotography Fine Art Photography The homepage of Daniel Sach and his photography Company

Tall order indeed without much time.

Above ISO800 the D80 sucks and I seldom go beyond ISO400 on mine unless it's absolutely necessary. Get / rent a flash (nothing less than a SB-600)......

Oh crap, you don't even mention your lens(es).....

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Not enough information.....

Most reactions

Back