WHAT TYPE OF PAPER?? do you use

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys. My girlfriend came to view the portraits that i took of her kiddies (posted - 2nd Paid Portrait Session) yesterday and she was "thrilled" with them all.... So she has put in her order and i have a wee dilemma....
I have worked out a price list based on individual images/sizes...
eg.. 5 x 7" $12.50,,,, 8 x 10" $25.... My prices are definitely a lot cheaper than most photographers that i have looked in to, which is what i want. Im first to admit that im just starting out and still have lots to learn but i am at the stage where i feel comfortable selling my work... Plus i have loads of friends and family lining up for shoots and thought i may aswell make a few dollars out of it. Anyway, wanted to ask you all a few questions..
#1.. Do you print your own pictures or have them printed elsewhere... and if so, where? Im in QLD australia..
#2.. What type of paper do you use?
#3.. If you feel like sharing ( but i understand if you dont:blushing: ) what prices do you charge for prints?
#4.. What kind of mark-up do you put on your photographs for selling?
So, basically i was told that Fuji Crystal Archive paper is of an excellent quality and that it lasts really well? I previously have always had my photos developed at Rabbit Photo (where i know the girls well) and have always been happy with the results on the Fuji paper... I just dont know where 'photographers' get theirs printed and if they get better results from somewhere else... Another bigger photographic store uses Kodak paper but i have heard not so good stories about this paper? Does anyone know anything about paper choice and processors??? I want to give my clients the best possible photographs and would like to be able to say "these prints will last for x amount of years" ... xx Eager to hear back so i can decide where to go!! :heart: thanks heaps xx

I send my stuff out to a pro lab. Right now, they print on Fuji. I think it was really a supply problem. Kodak seemed to be sluggish in shipping and Fuji is cheaper. They're both great papers.

I SELDOM make an injet print for delivery. When I do, I like to use Kodak's pro Lustre paper... mostly for the watermark on back. I think Epson's Lustre paper may perform a tad better though. For commercial work and passports, I love Epson's Ultra Premium Glossy. A bit pricey, but some real WOW factor.

Pete

Just a thought: You may not want to post the same question in different forums. It splits up the conversation and can make it difficult for others when they try to go back through the info.

I print elsewhere. (Mpix.com). I order the texure mat finish. Gorgeous prints from these folks. They use Kodak Edora. Hope that helps.

I have been using www.millerslab.com I don't know if they do international... but they have been producing EXCELLENT photographs for me. They have a very large variety of papers you can have them printed on, but I just prefer a standard matte or luster style paper.

markc said:
Just a thought: You may not want to post the same question in different forums. It splits up the conversation and can make it difficult for others when they try to go back through the info.

Im sorry! Just wanted as many answers to my questions asap as i want to make a decision soon...Really respect the talented folk on this forum. Also thought that some people may not check different sections and that sending the same post to 2 sections might get more feedback.... Wont do it again though .. sorry:blushing:

Anyone know if fuji crystal archive paper does last 4 to 6 times longer than other papers without fading or is this just a sell tactic??

I have been using MPIX and have been very satisfied with them. The results on the Kodak Eudora paper is great. Great details, color depth, and contrast. I have tried a few others but have always gone back to MPIX.

Millers owns Mpix. Mpix used to be the pro version. The pricing is a little less. All in all, it's the same company.

Personally, If I was talking about B + W, I wouldn't think of having someone else print my work. I don't print colour anymore, the digital revolution put an end to that. I believe that the final image is as much a part of a professionals creativity as is the original shooting. You are giving an image that may need some dodging, burning, or colour correction to a lab, who doesn't have the ability to make these corrections. I have spent thousands of very enjoyable hours printing in the darkroom, and knowing that the final image sent out is completely my own, is so fullfilling. Philip.

I posted this in another thread, but it applies here too:

I shoot using a 10D and print using Piezography quadtone monochromatic pigment inks on Hahnemühle William Turner archival fine-art paper and Legion Photo Matte. On my Epson 1280 I can print most image at 12x18 on 13x19 paper with no major issues to my eye.

If you want to see what quality digital b&w printing looks like, you might want to order some samples:
http://www.inkjetmall.com/store/bw/piezographyBW-sample.html
http://www.westcoastimaging.com/wci/page/services/samples.html
http://www.colorfolio.com/sample_request.htm

I've only gotten samples from the first link, so I can't vouch for the others. The samples are small, but they do show you what the ink system is capable of.

Most reactions

Back