What's with all the criticism around here?

c.cloudwalker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've noticed more and more people asking for criticism and I can't help and wonder if that is really what they want. :lol:

Thank you to Merriam-Webster for their definitions:

crit·i·cism
Pronunciation: \ˈkri-tə-ˌsi-zəm\
Function: noun
Date: 1607
1 a : the act of criticizing usually unfavorably <seeking encouragement rather than criticism> b : a critical observation or remark <an unfair criticism> c : critique
2 : the art of evaluating or analyzing works of art or literature; also : writings expressing such evaluation or analysis <an anthology of literary criticism>

And by the way, composure and composition are not the same thing. There is no such thing as composure in photography. Look it up:
Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online

Rant over!

are you sure it's criticism necessarily? critique is by it's nature a discussion of good and bad.

I try to always have a point. it's never than the photo is literally bad but that I'm making suggestions for improvement.

for example, sometimes what is captured is perfectly exposed but the composition -could- be better in the ideal world. like there's some absolutely beautiful fireworks photos recently where little changes could take the photo from excellent to better

I'm getting quite good in some areas of photography. I'm still a beginner in others. we improve in photography by endless critique. at some point I'll post my own photos up. i just haven't yet

It's constructive criticism.

Dictionary.com:

Main Entry: constructive criticism
Part of Speech: n
Definition: criticism or advice that is useful and intended to help or improve something, often with an offer of possible solutions

I struggle to keep my "composure" when reading photography forum posts sometimes. Does that count?:lol:

It's constructive criticism.

Dictionary.com:

Main Entry: constructive criticism
Part of Speech: n
Definition: criticism or advice that is useful and intended to help or improve something, often with an offer of possible solutions after bringing attention to the element(s) that necessitate the recommendation of a possible solution.
:thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back