Which Canon Zoom Lens? (need to sell one)

TheSon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have two similar lenses and can't figure out which to keep...

1. Canon EF 70-210mm 1:4 (heavy, loud, and slow)
2. Canon EF 55-200 1:4.5-5.6 USM II Ultrasonic (light, silent, and quick)

Alright... the obvious choice is to sell #1, and keep #2. But for some reason #2 just seems so light, crappy, and brittle. Is the glass the same between the two "era"s? Or have they been improving technology and cheaping out on quality? #2 is about half the weight and has the turn zoom instead of #1's straight pull out zoom.

What is the opinion of the experts? Any feedback?

(Thanks)

Which one does what you need it to do? There's your answer.

Haha... yes, oh wise yoda.

They both do the same. I was asking on build quality, i.e. glass and internals, not "what I need them to do".

The 55 -200 is by far the better lens of the two. Mainly because of the speed. Yes it lighter, but that doesn't mean that they have skimped on quality, it just means they have improved techniques to get the same or higher quality of product into a more user friendly frame. If it were a matter of keeping the better lens I would keep the 55. If its a matter of needing money and need to sale a lens...sale the 55 you will get more out of it.

*DISCLAIMER- This is just my personal opinion. Please don't turn this thread into another argument.

Thank you DRoberts and Usayit. Good answers. I guess i needed a little convincing to sell my nostalgic relic.

I put it up on Craigslist and sold it within 10 min for $100. Woohoo. :hug::

Most reactions

New Topics

Back