Which filters to get?

srt86hil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to photography, and I'm just thinking about buying a new filter. I'm interested in shooting landscapes, and beaches in particular. From what I can tell, most people say that a polarizer is essential, but if I want to shoot sunsets, would I be better off with an ND grad? Or if I want to shoot a sunset with waves on rocks in the foreground at a slow shutter speed do I need a normal ND filter, so that the foreground isn't too bright (or would this only apply in bright sunlight (or not at all??))?

Sorry about the barrage of questions, thanks in advance!

Why get filters at all? It's really hard to answer this question. It depends on what you're shooting, what the exposure is between foreground and background and on and on and on. To be honest just kinda pay attention to what you're shooting, write down all the stuff you're doing and if you REALLY want to get a filter, get one that might help with the most common problem you're running into.

Why get filters at all? It's really hard to answer this question. It depends on what you're shooting, what the exposure is between foreground and background and on and on and on. To be honest just kinda pay attention to what you're shooting, write down all the stuff you're doing and if you REALLY want to get a filter, get one that might help with the most common problem you're running into.
A circular polarizer will be a good general filter. Fer sunsets and getting detail on the foreground without blowing the sky highlights a graduated ND works well. Go for the medium or.3 on that one. If you say want to shoot say like waterfalls and, such during the day on have longer exposure then a standard ND is the ticket. I have Hoyas 8x for that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back