www.rikogonzalez.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i've decide to go Vivitar Dedicated Flash for my Olympus e-510
But now i'm stuck between this 2:
the 283 and the 383
main difference is the 383 has Manual Vary Power and some "extra features"
but the price goes up $40 from the 283?

What do you guys recommend...it may sounds as a dumb noobie question the 383 is probably the answer...but who knows maybe i'm wrong...thanks!

Last edited:
If you are looking for TTL capable flash, you do not have a choice, you need the 383. I do not know much about the 383. The 283 is old solid work horse but it only was as a manual flash.

If you can find a module (vp-1) made by Vivitar, you can plug it to the 283 flash and turn it into a vary power flash as well. And there are some articles on the net show you how to covert it yourself without using the VP-1

Last edited:
If you are looking for TTL capable flash, you do not have a choice, you need the 383. I do not know much about the 383. The 283 is old solid work horse but it only was as a manual flash.

If you can find a module (vp-1) made by Vivitar, you can plug it to the 283 flash and turn it into a vary power flash as well. And there are some articles on the net show you how to covert it yourself without using the VP-1

but is it worth it or is it just better to buy the 383 and call it a day

You will want the TTL...I have an FL-36 and like having the TTL when I need it. I don't use it all the time but its worth the extra $

Just my opinion.

I just found that Vivitar now made a flash DF283. And that is not the Vivitar 283 flash that I was talking about.

If you are talking about the DF283, I believe it is TTL capable as well.

Sorry, I do not know too much about these 2 flashes. I went to B&H and took a look.

I think the main differences between the 2 are.

- 383 is a little more powerful (GN: 45m vs 42m)
- 383 can act as a optical slave flash
- 383 can manually adjust the power level
- Since the 283 is less powerful, the recycle time is shorter (little)

The question is, are you planning to use the flash off camera as a optical slave flash? If yes, the vari power and build-in optical slave will be very useful.

Hey Guys I Got my Flash Yesterday!! B&H Rules only 4 Days Took to shipped!
Works Wonders Soon i'll Post Pics!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back