Which lens - a little help please

flambe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently own an Canon 50D and am looking to get a new general purpose lens.

I currently own a Canon EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM and whilst I'm generally happy with it, I want to upgrade to something with better image quality and sharpness.

I think I have narrowed it down to either the:

Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS
or the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS

The extra reach of the 24-105 would be nice, but I'm concerned about what I've read online about the sharpness.

Any thoughts, recommendations or general advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I think you will really like the sharpness and low light capability of the 2.8.

If your budget will allow you could spend an extra $500 and get either the Tamron or Sigma 2.8 kit of a 17-50mm and a 70-200mm. That would cover a lot of focal length with 2.8.

I have been very pleased with mine!! :)

Last edited:
Thanks,

I've heard bad things about the build quality of the 17-55. Any experience with it?

I don't have any experience with the canon 17-55 since I am a Nikon guy.

I can say I am very pleased with the build quality of all my Sigma lenses.

Last edited:
If you're wanting general purpose the range on the 24-100 is going to be much more useful, overall... but there's no question the 17-55 2.8 is going to be a better quality lens. Like anything with lenses, it's choosing between compromises. You have to decide if you're more comfortable with a little less sharpness, or a little less ability to zoom in to a subject further away from you.

I think you'll find the fixed 2.8 more useful than a fixed 4.0, especially as "general purpose", which to me means low light as well.

Most reactions

Back