which lens for statium

Frosty Stones

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm heading out the the Rogers Center in Toronto Ont, Canada to see Monster Jam.
I'm seated in section 109CL. I'll be taking my D7200, but never photographing an event like this before, will my 70-200 2.8 be enough or should I bring the 80-400 4.5-5.6 as well?

I don't know what the lighting is going to like, but from vids on youtube, it can be a mixed bag depending on the angle and distance of the subject.

any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Be aware (emphasis mine):

Q: Are cameras allowed in the arena?

A: Still cameras are permitted, provided that they are non-professional cameras and the photos are intended for personal use only. No video cameras of any kind are allowed in the arena. Digital camera policies are different from arena to arena, so if you have concerns, please contact the specific stadium/arena in your area to verify policy details. We hope you enjoy the entire event with your friends and family! When in doubt, leave the camera locked securely in your vehicle.

You would have a problem convincing them a 70-200 2.8 lens isn't a professional lens.

I've only been to one Monster Jam event and I left my camera at home and just enjoyed watching. It's a long walk back to the parking lot, they are serious about what they will not let in, and I didn't want my stuff left in the car.

thanks, I emailed the event for clarification, as their definition is a little vague.

Very good idea. I'd be interested to know what they say. As I said I've only been to one event however they were screening EVERYTHING that went in. I had the audacity to carry a little 3" pocket knife I've been carrying nearly every day for decades, and my friend had a similar one. We had to rent a "Security Locker" to put them in until after the event. They aren't kidding; if they say it doesn't go in then they mean it.

I've done hockey and in my experience it depends on the arena and level of play. There's one locally that will literally make someone take a long lens back to their car (or I guess, leave, because they ain't gettin' in with that lens!).

I would think with restrictions in more recent years that a long telephoto lens would not be permitted. Maybe a shorter lens... and a camera with a crop sensor. That might be as good as it'll get.

And the lighting is often weirdo or just plain crappy. edit - Wait, a major league stadium, then I revise my comment to say the lighting might be quite good. So if you can take in a lens, you might be able to get some decent shots. Probably would depend on where your seats are.

Last edited:
So, how would they know what someone intends to do with the photos?? That seems like a rather odd way to restrict cameras coming in to an event. I guess the thing is their site is trying to cover different policies at different arenas. Good idea to find out from your local arena before you go.

Last edited:
I guess there is a use for one of those P&S with a LONG optical zoom.

It isn’t just that the camera policies are a bit vague to you... it’s that they are equally vague to the security people they have at the door — who likely are not camera experts. So even entry-level lenses may seem pretty “professional” to them.

A few years back I went to Coachella. Coachella has a camera policy that you cannot bring in any camera with a “removeable lens” unless you have a photo pass.

Once inside, I run into a guy who has a full-frame DSLR and an 85mm lens and I just figured he had a photo pass. He told me no... he just hung back to watch the security at each lane before choosing which lane to use. He had his camera in full-view. He told the guy the lens wasn’t removable and since the security person had no way to know otherwise... they let him in.

At YOUR venue, you are at a bit of a disadvantage because they used the vague term “professional camera”. Basically anything more camera-like than a smartphone is questionable.

You’re going to need to convince them that your camera is rubbish and no “professional” would ever use it. Good luck! ;-)

Last edited:
I bring my Canon SX60HS to such events and bring a clamp tripod, cord remote. I just say it is a party meet up and a selfie stick. I get a rail seat. Pics pretty much suck unless your right up there. It does well enough but when your used to the resolution of a Fujifilm lens/camera, you are disappointed. So it is a waste of time. I ain't going to a monster truck jam unless I am on it for pics. It's coming here in Detroit and Ive been working my ars off to get a pass, do a story. Too many photogs covering it and I don't know anyone. February coming to Motown.

I have been to MJ many times and taken amazing photos just in a standard setting! We are here in AZ and ours is in a indoor baseball field so well lit. I may have just gotten luck, but my sports preset killed it for MJ. It was just fluke. Sometimes the easy.... is the easiest and best [emoji847]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP, try contacting media relations for both the venue and the promoter and find out what is required for a media pass. They will know the policy and then there will be no doubt.

I personally use P&S with a LONG optical zoom.

Most reactions

Back