Which Manfrotto ballhead for 055cxpro3?

Primoz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So finally I'm getting myself a sturdy tripod, because the cheapo one just doesn't hold my D90 with 70-200 anymore... =P

I decided to go with the Manfrotto 055cxpro3 (190 is lighter, but I want something sturdy for the rest of my photography "career")

Now I need to decide which ballhead to go for:
I was looking at the 498 ball head, which has a nice "panorama 360 degrees function" that I like. The price is good as well. Than I came across at some more expensive and fancier "magnesium" Manfrotto ballheads - so I am wondering:

1)Are they worth the extra cash for a serious amateur photographer?
2)Which quick release should I choose in case I go for the 498? RC 2 or 4? I hear that the 4 is sturdier because is larger, but RC2 is apparently more commonly used and less bulky... (I also like the RC2 because you don't need a coin to screw the plate on the body)
3)Is there a cheaper - offbrand alternative for the manfrotto vertical L bracket - I just cannot afford to pay 80$ fot an L shaped piece of metal... I might go for a DIY, but maybe there's already something cheap out there?

Thanks! =)

I decided to go with the Manfrotto 055cxpro3 (190 is lighter
055cxpro3 is a carbon fiber tripod. It should be light enough.

Why a manfrotto ball head? Their heads are alright but a bit restrictive for expansions down the road with their proprietary QR system. You might want to consider a head that uses the more universal Arca Swiss QR system. Far more secure and versatile.

Because arca swiss is cheaper right? lol.

I was looking for a manfrotto ballhead that would be rock solid and could take care of my 70-200, which isnt a super light lens, when taking vertical panoramic shots. I picked up the 468 which wasnt super cheap but it was exactly the same thing as arca swiss ones except cheaper.

As some people might argue that manfrotto ballheads use their own quick release plate standards while arca swiss is THE standard so it works with other systems too, but if you don't care about this interchangeability, i'd say manfrottos head is just as good.

There is only 1 downside to 468 in particular though. The head weights almost as much as my entire tripod. But I do have the lightest one in their range..

I know it's a carbon fiber tripod... =P But a carbon fiber 190 would be even lighter, wouldn't it be? =) But, that's not what I'm worried about anymore...

@gryphonslair99 - do you have any particular suggestions for a ball head with this system? I only took a look at gitzo and manfrotto gear, since they are one of the best in the bussines ans since Gitzo is out of my budget I decided to go with Manfrotto...

I don't want to pay more than 150$ for a ball head though... I guess that should be enough for a good quality head, shouldn't it?

Because arca swiss is cheaper right? lol.

I was looking for a manfrotto ballhead that would be rock solid and could take care of my 70-200, which isnt a super light lens, when taking vertical panoramic shots. I picked up the 468 which wasnt super cheap but it was exactly the same thing as arca swiss ones except cheaper.

As some people might argue that manfrotto ballheads use their own quick release plate standards while arca swiss is THE standard so it works with other systems too, but if you don't care about this interchangeability, i'd say manfrottos head is just as good.

There is only 1 downside to 468 in particular though. The head weights almost as much as my entire tripod. But I do have the lightest one in their range..

I agree. For photographic equipment you can pay as much as you want... I guess if you had a million dollars to spend on a tripod, you could probably even find a firm that sells million dollar tripods...
But you have to find your limits just as you said... =)

May I ask you: what are the advantages of a hydrostatic ballhead? =)

Because arca swiss is cheaper right? lol.I was looking for a manfrotto ballhead that would be rock solid and could take care of my 70-200, which isnt a super light lens, when taking vertical panoramic shots. I picked up the 468 which wasnt super cheap but it was exactly the same thing as arca swiss ones except cheaper. As some people might argue that manfrotto ballheads use their own quick release plate standards while arca swiss is THE standard so it works with other systems too, but if you don't care about this interchangeability, i'd say manfrottos head is just as good. There is only 1 downside to 468 in particular though. The head weights almost as much as my entire tripod. But I do have the lightest one in their range..
No, because I wouldn't put a 400mm f2.8 on a manfrotto QR plate and trust it, nor can you move a bigger piece of glass in the QR head to balance it with a Manfrotto QR head. Neither would I trust using a Manfrotto QR combo to suspend a camera/lens combo in ackward positions or from a Black Rapid strap. I would rather spend money once and get something that fits a multitude of needs for a lifetime than piddle dink around buying upgrades every few years.

I know it's a carbon fiber tripod... =P But a carbon fiber 190 would be even lighter, wouldn't it be? =) But, that's not what I'm worried about anymore...@gryphonslair99 - do you have any particular suggestions for a ball head with this system? I only took a look at gitzo and manfrotto gear, since they are one of the best in the bussines ans since Gitzo is out of my budget I decided to go with Manfrotto...I don't want to pay more than 150$ for a ball head though... I guess that should be enough for a good quality head, shouldn't it?

Depends on what your term " good quality" means. You might look at the Giottos line of better ball heads. GIOTTO'S-Professional Photographic Equipment

This was my choice and there is nothing that I can throw at it that it can't handle. BH-55 Pro: Full-sized ballhead with Pro - BH-55-Pro - Kit Configuration Page

A good lesser expensive choice.BH-40 Pro II: Mid-sized ball with Pro II - BH-40-Pro-II - Kit Configuration Page not going to be $150 though.

Last edited:
I have that exact tripod and I use a Manfrotto 488RC0 and Manfrotto 322RC2

Which size of Giotto would go perfectly with the 055cxpro3?

BTW: I found out that Karl Taylor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUWESiAEw5I)
Uses a 498 Manfrotto ballhead as well and I have a feeling (from his videos) that he buys only the best of equipment that exists... So I'm thinking Manfrotto ballheads should be very good... ??

It depends how much weight you anticipate mounting on the legs/head.

Manfotto is not even close to being the best equipment that exists. Manfrotto is mid-range quality.

If you want the best, look at Real Right Stuff, Kirk, and Gitzo gear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back