Which One? (Hotrod photography ;)

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These photos are of my dad's old Ford F2

But I'm not sure which one looks best, or fits best.

I like the color version, because the yellows are complementary to the blues and there is detail in the shadows, but I like the b&w as well, because it's more stark and better conveys the vintage, decrepit nature of the content. I tried bringing back some of the shadows in the b&w version, but it's hard to do without making the photo too greyscale.

Last edited:
Colour, and it's not even close. Very cool subject, by the way.

Ah okay. I was leaning towards the color version. I guess the b&w just requires too much contrast in order to be true black and white that the darks on the left unbalance the entire image?

Colour, and it's not even close. Very cool subject, by the way.

Ah okay. I was leaning towards the color version. I guess the b&w just requires too much contrast in order to be true black and white that the darks on the left unbalance the entire image?
The B&W conversion is kinda bland, in the sense that is missing some contrast. But the main issue is that the subject and the sky blend together, and adding more contrast might not necessarily help separate them. I'd try darkening the sky and going from there.

Color for sure! Love the shot, there just isn't enough contrast or the BW to work.

Is this any better?

Color is better. The on-screen reproduction leaves a lot to be desired; the image looks pretty bad on my screen...massive haloing... and there's a huge dust bunny in the sky that desperately needs to be cloned out. But yeah, color, all the way.

Here's a super-quick edit, just to show you what I mean:

$7615650694_871a543bd8_z copy.jpg

This is not a scene that works well in B&W, though.

Color is better. The on-screen reproduction leaves a lot to be desired; the image looks pretty bad on my screen...massive haloing... and there's a huge dust bunny in the sky that desperately needs to be cloned out. But yeah, color, all the way.

Ah. The dust is almost invisible in the larger image it seems so I didn't notice it. I'll fix that. Where's the haloing going on? What do you mean by bad?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back