Which P&S to choose? G-12/LX5/XZ-1/P7000?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking to get a smaller high quality compact-ish P&S with a larger sensor than my existing pocket Cybershot P&S. I carry in my backpack while on trips when I don't have room to carry my D200 or the extra weight. My backpack is usually jam packed as is!

I have been looking at the Canon G-12, Nikon P7000, Panasonic LX5, and the Olympus XZ-1 for purchase. They all look great on paper and looks like the XZ-1 and LX5 have the largest sensor of them all. A lot of the pics will probably be in the forest without a lot of available light and maybe less than favorable condtitions at times. It would be great to have HD video as well.

Just curious who owns or have compared the above cameras, looking to see which would be the best camera for me. Or any others you may reccomend in this price or size range?

Last edited:
I too have been comparing these cameras as a carry around when and where a full camera is not practical. I am leaning towards the LX5 because it has a wider lens (needed because many of the shots I will take with this are interiors) and has a faster aperture (needed because just like with the wider lens, indoor shots in low light). I wanted to like the Nikon the most because I am a Nikon shooter (DSLRs, P&Ss, SLRs), then the Canon has a great reputation with their G series. Unfortunately some of the shots I will be taking will be once in a lifetime shots where I can not carry a full DSLR outfit so I need every edge I can get, and the 24mm f2 lens on the LX5 seems like the perfect choice to make sure I can get the best images possible.

Allan

I too have been comparing these cameras as a carry around when and where a full camera is not practical. I am leaning towards the LX5 because it has a wider lens (needed because many of the shots I will take with this are interiors) and has a faster aperture (needed because just like with the wider lens, indoor shots in low light). I wanted to like the Nikon the most because I am a Nikon shooter (DSLRs, P&Ss, SLRs), then the Canon has a great reputation with their G series. Unfortunately some of the shots I will be taking will be once in a lifetime shots where I can not carry a full DSLR outfit so I need every edge I can get, and the 24mm f2 lens on the LX5 seems like the perfect choice to make sure I can get the best images possible.

Allan
Thanks for the reply Allan. It seems as though I have the exact same needs as you, with the exception of indoors for the most part. I also really wanted to like the Nikon, I have an SB600 I was hoping to use on it. I too will have the need for once in a lifetime shots that are very sentimental, and impt. I get it right in that moment. It stinks getting home, uploading pics and finding flaws that weren't visble on the little view finder knowing you'll never be able to take that picture again. Plus the LX5 is 100.00 less right now!

Any other opinions or users of these cams out there?
I'm not real concerned about the wide angle 24vs. 28mm at the bottom but the LX is only a 24-90 while others are 110mm and up I believe. It would be nice to have that extra focal length but lookin for the better P&S that will help yield in the highest quality photos.

Just make sure your expectations are set correctly even with high end P&S...

I've been shooting with the LX3 and if I were in the market for another, I would go with the LX5. My experience and the reviews are all favorable for this camera. The only other camera I would consider in the list is the new comer; Olympus. Nikon has never been strong in high-end P&S. I've been a Canon G-series fan in the past but their cameras are a bit large. Don't forget the max aperture of the lenses at desired focal lengths; Olympus and Panasonic being favored (on the widest focal lengths). I personally would still pick the LX3 over the Olympus because for me the 24mm is significant.

Also, the only high end P&S that I consider pocketable is the Canon S95. Just another one to consider.

Video you may be interested in

YouTube - ‪Olympus XZ-1 Hands-on (feat. Canon S95)‬‏

WIth that said...

If you considering the G12, you should then also consider the mirrorless offerings. Smaller cameras/lenses with much larger sensors than the ones you listed. One place to start is the Olympus E-PL2.

Most reactions

Back