Which photo editing software? LR4, PSE, CS5?

xraychick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello. I'm new to the forum. I have an old version of PS Elements. I just purchased a Canon S100...it arrives Thursday. I'm thinking about upgrading and am not sure which to upgrade to. Can anyone explain the differences between Lightroom4, PS Elements, and Photoshop CS5? They all seem very similar to me. Thanks in advance!

If they all seem very similar to you, then you don't really need to upgrade to any of them.

If you are looking for full editing then CS5 Photoshop is great if you are looking to do more touch up then Lightroom could work out well for you. I guess it's all going to depend on how much editing and what you are planning to do.

If you are looking for full editing then CS5 Photoshop is great if you are looking to do more touch up then Lightroom could work out well for you. I guess it's all going to depend on how much editing and what you are planning to do.

Thank you. Mainly just touching up but I also like to play around with adding effects and such to my photos. I like my PSE, but it's many years old. I wonder if it's changed much over the years? If not then I guess I'd be better off to just use what I've got.

Then you might want to look at doing an upgrade to photoshop elements to the most recent version and maybe look at buying Lightroom 3 since it's one sale since Lightroom 4 was just released.

Just looked at my version of PSE...it's v2.0! Think it's time for an upgrade!

I would say get Elements 10.

CS5 and Lightroom 4 are professional grade software and a pro really needs both of them.

Last edited:
I'm really happy with PSE10.. does more than I know what to do :)

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I will be going with PSE10 :)

well conrats for your new camera .. and for photo editing Photoshop CS5 is best ..

Last edited by a moderator:
well conrats for your new camera .. and for photo editing Photoshop CS5 is best ..

Thank you :) I've had several point and shoots and I also have an older Rebel that I haven't used for a while. Need to dust it off again lol. I will check out CS5 a little more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Devoted hobbiest; PS Elements

Serious or obsessed photographer who wants control over everything; CS5

Voting to start with Photoshop right away as it gives the opportunity to grow. You can probably get CS4 on ebay which is still pretty good for a pretty reasonable price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back