White Deer...need some suggestions

NikonNewbie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My friends dad has a farm next to my house (a few blocks away from me)...anyway he always has a herd of deer on his land...they have been there forever...there is literally 30 to 40 and they are always together.
the other day I was driving by and saw a white animal...thought it was a dog and said to myself..no way...those deer are very sketchy, they wouldn't allow dog to get within 200 feet of them...so I saw it again yesterday...it's a white deer!!!
only half of it is really white...I want a picture of it, i've got the 200mm now but I dont know if it will get me close enough, and without camping out and convering myself with leaves-im trying to figure out a way to get this deer!
if I shoot it (with a camera) and then crop it and blow it up will it lose resolution?
oh hell...I'll just try and see what happens, but I dont want to scare it, so better to get an idea on the 1st round.

is it legal to bait in delaware? It's not anymore here, but people do it anyway. Use some sugar beets to bait it and hide out in a blind until the herd comes around, same as you would for hunting.

Hurry up, cause you know someones gonna shoot it or it's gonna get eaten or hit by a car before you can get a picture! :)

is it legal to bait in delaware? It's not anymore here, but people do it anyway. Use some sugar beets to bait it and hide out in a blind until the herd comes around, same as you would for hunting.

Hurry up, cause you know someones gonna shoot it or it's gonna get eaten or hit by a car before you can get a picture! :)

Id have to buy a truck load of sugar beets because their are like 40+ deer out there, the chances that one will come is nil because I thinks it's a fawn too...or a little bit bigger then a fawn.

I hope no one shoots it...the land is private property but there is a road that runs right through it...the deer are there every single day in the morning and at sunset eating the old corn that fell.
these deer for some reason never get hit by the cars either...which is hard to believe since they dart out of nowhere and people drive like A-holes down that road.
Ok..I'm gonna see if I can hang outside in the cold all day behind his barn.
if you dont see me ever again on here...you will know why...hypothermia will have killed me.
lol

my brother just told me that the hide of a white deer is rare and worth some money. now I hope no one will shoot it. people stop all the time to watch them...but if someone else notices the white one he might end up dead.
great...i'll worry about this now too. :(

It's illegal to shoot an albino deer here in Illinois. We have had an albino doe on our farm or neighbor farm for the past 6-7 years and have taken several pictures of her with a 70-200 lens. The problem we have is most of the time we see her it is in low light situation, dusk and dawn.

Good luck.

It's illegal to shoot an albino deer here in Illinois. We have had an albino doe on our farm or neighbor farm for the past 6-7 years and have taken several pictures of her with a 70-200 lens. The problem we have is most of the time we see her it is in low light situation, dusk and dawn.

Good luck.

yep thats when this one is out.
damnit.
oh well...Ill sneak one from afar so you can get a general idea of what i'm working with.

Get yourself an M42 adaptor and then a 500mm M42 lens. You'll get the lot for under £100 (about $155) and never look back!

Get yourself an M42 adaptor and then a 500mm M42 lens. You'll get the lot for under £100 (about $155) and never look back!
say what??? I see them for Pentax...when I search a Nikon 500mm they are from 1k and up!
screw that until I go back to work in 2 years..lol...Ill just get my ninja skills together and stalk that deer like Lightspeed stalked his spider.
:lol:

Only thing i can suggest,is become a sniper! Lol, if im hunting animals to take photos of,i stay down wind of them,and move very low,and very slowly,usually about 5/6 foot at a time.stay there for a few seconds and move on. and dont make sudden movements :)

And post some shots!:)

Only thing i can suggest,is become a sniper! Lol, if im hunting animals to take photos of,i stay down wind of them,and move very low,and very slowly,usually about 5/6 foot at a time.stay there for a few seconds and move on. and dont make sudden movements :)

And post some shots!:)

Ill give it a go. Ill have to go when the kids arent around tho...they scare the crap out of everything I try to shoot. whoever said kids were a good idea anyway :er:
j/k ...they rock in most ways..lol

my brother just told me that the hide of a white deer is rare and worth some money. now I hope no one will shoot it. people stop all the time to watch them...but if someone else notices the white one he might end up dead.

White deer are generally sitting up there with lions tigers and other highly rare and sought after hunting subjects. People will pay big money for the pelts and pay big money to find out where to shoot one (even if they don't sell its something highly rare for their shooting collection).

In the UK whenever they find a white hart it tends to be a well kept secret (least as well kept as they can keep it) to try and protect it from hunters.

Good luck trying to snipe a shot - just remember any shots you post online want to be fairly close cropped and not easy to tell "where" the photo was taken - might sound silly but anyone can search the net for info :(

say what??? I see them for Pentax...when I search a Nikon 500mm they are from 1k and up!
screw that until I go back to work in 2 years..lol...Ill just get my ninja skills together and stalk that deer like Lightspeed stalked his spider.
:lol:

You can get an adapter so the old Pentax M42 lenses fit on your Nikon. The M42 lenses then screw into the adapter. They are Manual focus and Manual Aperture. I use a couple with my Sony. Some of them like my Helios 2/58 are awesome lenses and pin sharp. But some are crap so you you have to be careful, but all of them are really cheap. I paid £15 (about $23) for my Helios.

You can pick the adapters up for about $20 and a 500mm f/8 lens for about $100 on ebay.

Here's an example of how sharp the Helios is

Carnations by jamesdavidboro2, on Flickr

White deer are generally sitting up there with lions tigers and other highly rare and sought after hunting subjects. People will pay big money for the pelts and pay big money to find out where to shoot one (even if they don't sell its something highly rare for their shooting collection).

In the UK whenever they find a white hart it tends to be a well kept secret (least as well kept as they can keep it) to try and protect it from hunters.

Good luck trying to snipe a shot - just remember any shots you post online want to be fairly close cropped and not easy to tell "where" the photo was taken - might sound silly but anyone can search the net for info :(

I will shoot it...and upload from my parents when I go to visit ..lol then no one will know maybe. lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back