White Hut in Snow (exposure practice)

Fred von den Berg

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
white hut in snow.jpg

Nikon Coolpix P100, A priority, ISO 160, 1/1250, + 1 EV, F8, in-camera B&W with digital red filter. Spot metered on the post in foreground. Comments welcome.

Looks pretty good. At first one is inclined to think "looks pretty bright," but it should look pretty bright. It's a white hut in snow on a sunlit day. The unpainted structures look right. Trees are dark, but cameras don't have the dynamic range our eyes do, so...

Turned out much better than a black cat in snow that I tried a couple weeks ago.

Looks pretty good. At first one is inclined to think "looks pretty bright," but it should look pretty bright. It's a white hut in snow on a sunlit day. The unpainted structures look right. Trees are dark, but cameras don't have the dynamic range our eyes do, so...

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. The trees are a bit dark, perhaps I should have taken a couple of different readings and split the difference.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. The trees are a bit dark, perhaps I should have taken a couple of different readings and split the difference.
You're welcome, Fred.

I think not. If you'd done that I expect the hut and snow would've been blown out. As it is, only the trees are a bit dark. Everything else, even the ground under those trees and the shadowed area to the left of the hut, are, to my eye, quite nicely exposed. I think you nailed it.

You're welcome, Fred.

I think not. If you'd done that I expect the hut and snow would've been blown out. As it is, only the trees are a bit dark. Everything else, even the ground under those trees and the shadowed area to the left of the hut, are, to my eye, quite nicely exposed. I think you nailed it.

Thanks, Cortian.

Try spot metering for the brightest object in the scene, then dialing everything back to that reading.

Most reactions

Back