White Rhino

goooner

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Spent the last week or so in my native South Africa. The girlfriend and I went to a private game lodge and did 6 excellent game drives. The fate of the rhinos worldwide is in a very sad state. With poaching reaching terrible levels. The south african government has been increasing the sentences (15 years), and applying a 'no bail' policy when caught with Rhino horn.

The anti poaching units have been shooting to kill, and more than 40 poachers have been killed this year alone. Unfortunately the demand for this most expensive 'natural resource' has been growing steadily.Here are the numbers and some information if anyone is interested (some graphic photographs on that site).
Poaching Statistics

We came across this female with 2 bullet holes. She seemed to be fine, and tried to join a small small group (mother and 2 older calves). The group did not really want her to join though. The ranger told us that they've been looking for her and her calf for about 2 weeks, they fear that her calf had been slaughtered, and that she made an amazing escape. The park management was notified, and the vet darted her later that day to remove the bullets.

This episode really hit home.

#1 The wounded female approaching the small group. The punched hole in the ear is for identification purposes.
IMG_6637.jpg

#2 They were not very impressed, with the mother mock charging her a couple of times
IMG_6636.jpg

#3 Bullet holes clearly visible on the shoulder, and in the head
IMG_6624.jpg

#4 Red billed oxpecker keeping the wound clean.
IMG_6627.jpg

It's pleasing to hear the government is getting aggressive against the poachers. Thank you for sharing

Great story and pics. I just returned from two weeks in Namibia, where the wildlife folks have cut the horns off some of the white rhinos to prevent them being poached - sad, but it seems the only way to save them.

WesternGuy

Thanks for the comments, it is a sorry state of affairs :apologetic:

Thank you for sharing your photos, they tell her story well. It's a sad state of affairs indeed. I'm glad that the vet was able to help her at least.

Thank you for sharing your photos, they tell her story well. It's a sad state of affairs indeed. I'm glad that the vet was able to help her at least.
Thank you.

Those are truly some magnificent creatures. Wonderful captures and info!

They are currently experiencing issues with poachers hunting Rhinos, so they have started hunting the poachers. It's unbelievable that people go to such lengths for wealth.

Very sad indeed. Sadder is in the fact there is still a market for the horns... Nice photos.

Those are truly some magnificent creatures. Wonderful captures and info!

They are currently experiencing issues with poachers hunting Rhinos, so they have started hunting the poachers. It's unbelievable that people go to such lengths for wealth.

This is true. The real tragedy (apart from the poor creatures of course), is that the people taking the most risk (the poachers), also earn the least amount of money. Superstition is a powerful thing-unfortunately. Thanks for commenting.

Very sad indeed. Sadder is in the fact there is still a market for the horns... Nice photos.
Thanks for commenting.

Rhinos are great animals and it distresses me to see what is happening to them. As a world-class philosopher once said, "mankind is the cancer of the planet."

Rhinos are great animals and it distresses me to see what is happening to them. As a world-class philosopher once said, "mankind is the cancer of the planet."
I agree, thanks for looking.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back