Who else has tried collecting photographs from strangers?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been doing a type of street photography where I leave disposable cameras around for random people to take pictures with. The cameras have a note asking the stranger who finds it to take a picture of whatever they want, then return the camera. I can't be the first guy to try this out. Have any of you done this? How did it work out for you?
You can see how mine have turned out at apeoplespicture.blogspot.com I'm not trying to spam here, just curious.

You Just may be the first to have tried this....Ive never heard of it and probalby wouldnt try it. How often do people follow directions? How many times have your cameras been taken?

"How many times have your cameras been taken?" That is always the first thing people ask followed by "Have you gotten any naked pictures?" So far, none of my cameras have been stolen. They are 3 dollar disposable jobs from Wal-Mart with a giant note taped on them, so there is not much motivation to steal them. As for the naked pictures, I haven't gotten any of those yet either.

Last edited:
Very neat. I've heard of things kind of akin to this, but not quite the same. Like the buddy of mine who has a policy that if you compliment something he is wearing, that he will give it to you, with the stipulation that you must wear it and do the same. (I associate these two items in my brain, don't ask why) :)

Anyway... neat! I'm enjoying the concept and results. :)

Very neat. I've heard of things kind of akin to this, but not quite the same. Like the buddy of mine who has a policy that if you compliment something he is wearing, that he will give it to you, with the stipulation that you must wear it and do the same. (I associate these two items in my brain, don't ask why) :)

WOW! I like this idea. Kind of similar to the idea of leaving books in public places with a website address where you should go and say where you picked up the book that you found.

Another one I liked (although I don't quite remember the details) was the idea of leaving envelopes around asking the finder to enclose something on his person at the time of the find.

I love those things and, Peoples Photographer, I love your own idea very much. I may copy it in my town. If you don't mind that is.

But I know what you mean about the naked question. I drove limousines once and everybody wanted to know how often I'd seen naked people in the back. What they really were asking is how often people were doing the nasty back there...:lmao:

Please do try it. I have instructions on the best way to attach the note and camera dropping tips on the blog; these might save you some trial and error. If you are successful let us know what you get!

Yep, neat. I've seen it done (as in I saw the camera with the note) before. Cool beans. :)

Thanks! I hadn't heard of that. I wonder why they felt the need to tie the thing down. I just can't get enough of these photos taken by strangers.

WOW! I like this idea. Kind of similar to the idea of leaving books in public places with a website address where you should go and say where you picked up the book that you found.

Another one I liked (although I don't quite remember the details) was the idea of leaving envelopes around asking the finder to enclose something on his person at the time of the find.

I love those things and, Peoples Photographer, I love your own idea very much. I may copy it in my town. If you don't mind that is.

But I know what you mean about the naked question. I drove limousines once and everybody wanted to know how often I'd seen naked people in the back. What they really were asking is how often people were doing the nasty back there...:lmao:
So.....how often?

Ive seen a few folks doing this, one of them was very elaborate, including postage so that you could mail the camera back to the person to get developed. One was even built into the piece of mail so that the postal workers while sorting the mail could take pictures with the mail/camera on its journey.

I at one point had about 20 expired disposable cameras and was going to do something similar but was far too lazy to set it up. I think some of the ideas I had I took from here Flickr: disposable

like "track this dollar bill"

has a stamp on the bill and you type in the bill's serial number and it says where the bill has been/used

Most reactions

Back