Whooooaa - i've gotta try this someday!

vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was just ambling on the beach today with my camera and i saw this kite surfer. Though he was far out in the distance so I decided to take some shots. The probably aren't the best shots in the world, but i was able to catch a cool sequence:

sequence.jpg

Man that guy was airborne! Maybe up to 3+ metres in the air! Actually in Nelson (south island) some bloke got swept up in gale off the beach, through the neighbourhood, and landed on a roof - of his own house! Broke both legs in the process.

I had to put my camera the furthest telephoto, I set my iso to 400 (it usually stays put at 100). Shutterspeed here was 1000.

Here he is bringin' her home
surf4.jpg

Out curiousity, what settings would you have put on your camera for these type of shots? I used a canon d10, tamron 300x28 lens (lurve that lens :love: ).

hey Mark. nice shots, as always. :)
- i've always wanted to try skydiving, which looks about as maniacal as this. never seem to have the time or money, tho....

i'da set as low iso as possible, for better colors, though you'd have to go higher if you wanted to keep the guy crisp when moving at high speed. you want to be able to show depth for this kind of shot, so you'd want the aperture as small as possible, but again, the smaller it is, the slower the shutter speed and the more chance you'd soften the subject. if you panned perfectly, something like an f9 or 11 and iso 100 or 200 would probably do... (actually, you might be able to stop down even more on a super bright beach day...)

edit- just went back and realized you shot this over a long distance. that changes everything, and you did exactly what i woulda done- gotta bump up shutter speed at that kinda distance.

btw- #3 is my favorite- love the body language, the obvious strain against the pull of the wind in the chute...

Nice captures there. I've always wanted to parasail, that kinda looks like that. Bungie jumping and sky diving are on my "to-do" lists too... :D

to be honest, if I was there right now, i wouldn't have my camera set at anything. I'd hafta be out in that water enjoying the weather

Even though that paraglider you captured there, Mark, is no longer "in action" in the last one, I still like that last photo (the fourth) best because of the colour contrast of that grey sky and the (sun-lit?) parachute - yes, this colour contrast does it for me.

Haven't I got photos of a paraglider somewhere, too???? I'm sure I have. Now where have they gone??? :scratch:

to be honest, if I was there right now, i wouldn't have my camera set at anything. I'd hafta be out in that water enjoying the weather

The wind was blowing at gusts up to 80 mph that afternoon, a bit hard to enjoy the weather but perfect photoggin ;)

nice captures there. I've always wanted to parasail, that kinda looks like that. Bungie jumping and sky diving are on my "to-do" lists too..

Even though that paraglider you captured there, Mark, is no longer "in action" in the last one, I still like that last photo (the fourth) best because of the colour contrast of that grey sky and the (sun-lit?) parachute - yes, this colour contrast does it for me.

thanks for your comments! :)

fyi - paragliding and and kite surfing are quite different. Kite surfing is literally that, surfing with a kite! You are not harnessed to anything which makes quite dangerous but also quite exciting (i believe its another nutty kiwi invention). The goal is actually to stay on the water because god knows where you might get blown to :mrgreen:

Not once trying to compete with you (with these I wouldn't try to compete with ANYBODY, they are just in the snapshot-range), but to ask you:
What of the two you have just mentioned does this one do?

46422855.jpg

46422848.jpg

(I knew I had these somewhere, but it took me a while to find them - and they are nowhere near as nice as yours...)

Editing in:
Oh dear :oops: , this first one is a complete mess! I must rescan it and maybe leave it untouched (I changed a bit about it)... or leave it out all together... Forgive me all. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Nice shots Mark, but as for trying it... this violates the Bug's #1 rule of self-preservation- Never get higher off the ground than you can get by jumping straight up and land comfortably. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back