What's new

Why am I having reservations about this?

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
49
Location
Arkansas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is it because it is going to be my first major lens purchase?

Is it because I should get something else?

I am currently saving for a used 70-200 2.8 VR. During this saving period (which should end in the next 2 months), I continually see other things along they way that I would like to purchase.

I want to mainly shoot portraits, headshots, seniors and begin to work my way into wedding photography. I am sometimes worried about the length of the 70-200 and wonder if a 24-70 would be better suited for the above stated.

I need reassurance! LOL
 
If you can save the money, then do not let the money be the driving force as the reason to purchase your next lens.

One of the issues with this hobby/industry, is seeing something else we would like. Patience becomes very important, and your needs will dictate what to purchase.

Remember, we have a short stay here, and it should be as much fun as is possible.
 
There are a lot of pros outhere who got rid their zoom lenses and switch to primes. They use two bodies at weddings with two different prime lenses. This is very doable because primes are much smaller and lighter. Something to think about. I think about it everyday.
 
If you can save the money, then do not let the money be the driving force as the reason to purchase your next lens.

One of the issues with this hobby/industry, is seeing something else we would like. Patience becomes very important, and your needs will dictate what to purchase.

Remember, we have a short stay here, and it should be as much fun as is possible.

Wise words

There are a lot of pros outhere who got rid their zoom lenses and switch to primes. They use two bodies at weddings with two different prime lenses. This is very doable because primes are much smaller and lighter. Something to think about. I think about it everyday.

I am not to that point yet. I need to buy a nice piece of fast glass at the moment.

I have been watching KEH and they had a 70-200 in EX condition that they were selling for 1299. That was what I was considering. Well, I guess I waited too long. Does anyone have good experience with KEH and know how often they get things in? I am thinking the extra 10mm and the VR will be worth the extra 300 or so.
 
My daily routine is to check local craigslist everyday (under gig and under photo equipment). Once in a while I see something that would interest me. And you always want to bargain!
 
I recently got my frist Nikon 70-200 VR I and can say I have 0 regrets. I got by just fine with a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 though. The Nikon 70-200 is a lens I've wanted for years and after buying this and that I realize now that I would have been better off just waiting until I had what I wanted.

The 70-200 is so versatile, it's a kick ass portrait lens and has done me quite well with wildlife already.

Stick to your goals!

For what it's worth, one of my lens purchases was a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 Macro HSM and I don't think I'd let that one go for anything at this point, it's also a very versatile lens that compliments my 70-200 nicely.
 
You can save a lot of $$ by going with a 80-200mm f2.8 af-d lens instead. They sell used in "like new" condition for as low as $450.

There are three versions of this lens, a single ring push-pull zoom ($400-500), a dual ring ($600-700), and an AF-S version ($850-950). They are all every bit as good as the new 70-200mm, focus speed and VR are all that's compromised, although in the case of the AF-S the focus speed is about on par with the latest version.
 
From what I've seen the 2 ring is more like $850 and AF-S is more like $950-$1000. You can get a used VR I for about $1200.
 
From what I've seen the 2 ring is more like $850 and AF-S is more like $950-$1000. You can get a used VR I for about $1200.

Yeah, and I think that extra 10mm of wide-"ness" along with the VR is worth the extra ~$300.
 
The VR-1 is one of the finest zooms Nikon has ever made for APS-C sized sensors...it was designed to cover APS-C...it has a longer effective focal length at minimum focus distance than the newer VR-II model does--by quite a bit actually. It's faster to focus than the 80-200 AF-D models. The range is better too; 70mm on 1.5x is much handier than 80mm on 1.5x. VR is very useful. It's really a very useful lens!!! I'm not very impressed with the 24-70 foal length zooms in terms of range of focal lengths on 1.5x bodies...the crop factor kills the 24-70...24-70 is a full-frame lens....seriously.
 
Are you able to rent each of them to try them out? Then you can decide which one you want to buy first!

I have the 70-200 VRI and I love it. Got it from Craiglist for $1300 CDN in exc condition. Also just got the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - instead of the much more $$$ Nikon 24-70mm and I love it almost as much as the Nikon :)
 
If you do want a mid range zoom for a dx then a lens like the 17-55 2.8 Nikkor is very nice. In addition it will be easy to sell if you go to a larger 135 equivalent sensor later.

Derrel is absolutely right about the 70-200 VR-I being brilliant on a smaller sensor body. I replaced a 80-200 2.8D with one and no regrets. On most days my kit bag has a dx camera with 70-200 2.8 VR-I, a dx camera with 17-55 2.8 AFS, and a 85 1.4D or a 50 1.8D tucked away in a corner.
 
Havn't you seen "The Thread" you only need the kit lens it will do everything
 
The VR-1 is one of the finest zooms Nikon has ever made for APS-C sized sensors...it was designed to cover APS-C...it has a longer effective focal length at minimum focus distance than the newer VR-II model does--by quite a bit actually. It's faster to focus than the 80-200 AF-D models. The range is better too; 70mm on 1.5x is much handier than 80mm on 1.5x. VR is very useful. It's really a very useful lens!!! I'm not very impressed with the 24-70 foal length zooms in terms of range of focal lengths on 1.5x bodies...the crop factor kills the 24-70...24-70 is a full-frame lens....seriously.
Thanks Derrel, you have only confirmed my choice. Truth is, I know what I want, I just have to get it and stop worrying.

Havn't you seen "The Thread" you only need the kit lens it will do everything
Crap, what am I doing!!! :gah:
 
My experience doing weddings is to bring your entire lens arsenal. I use a 15mm fisheye, 60mm macro, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8 20-35mm f3.5/5.6, 80-200 f2.8.

But i shoot with a D700 and do alot of low light shooting.

joe
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom