Why did you buy YOUR camera???

Why did I buy mine? Because it was cheap.

Do I have insurance? Why pay for insurance for something that costs $200?

Why did you buy your camera? What sort of things did you take into consideration when you were making your decision? What is your day to day use? Did you worry about a warranty? Does your camera suffer much abuse in its day to day life?

I bought my D100 because I couldn't stand not having instant results but the P&S I was running at the time (which was a "good P&S" for the time, was barely qualified as a "camera")

I bought my D300 because I wanted a new shiny camera. :) Well, that and because I needed one to be able to effectively work in the photography business I had chosen and the D100 simply wouldn't cut it.

I chose the D100 (I was considering both Canon and Nikon at the time) largely because my buddy offered me three free lenses if I went the Nikon route. Since they were both comparable (I was considering everything there was to consider), I went Nikon. I've been very pleased with my choice.

Worry about the warranty? No. I trust Nikon to stand by their stuff and their stuff is high quality. That being said, buy with an Amex and you get an extra year of warranty.

My cameras get banged around a bit. I'm very careful with them, but if you're really using them they're gonna get smacked around, get wet, get dirty, etc. It happens. Some of the more "upclassed" bodies are better built to take the abuse, but as long as you're not using the thing to bang in nails or pull someone out of a river, most cameras will hold up against the usual bumps and knocks.

Why did you buy your camera?

I purchased my camera used, from a friend of a friend so I knew I wouldn't be $crewed over. I bought a 2month old Canon XTi body for $450. The camera was barely touched. The owner, a Nikon D80 owner, wanted to take a stab into the Canon world. For him, it was like a PC owner buying a MAC. The feel and controls were too awkward so he sold it. Once you get used to Canon or Nikon, it isn't always easy to switch to the other side.

What sort of things did you take into consideration when you were making your decision?

$, Money, Cash, Mula, Pera, Dinero, the green stuff.
I wanted a novice DSLR that wouldn't break my bank. I didn't want an XT or a D40/60 because I had a feeling that I would be wanting more after 2 weeks of owning the camera. I had my mind pretty much set on an XTi/XSI or D80. When I found a great deal, I jumped on it and ordered a nifty 50 as its first lens. It has been about 3 months now and I am very much happy with my purchase.

What is your day to day use?

Unfortunately, my camera doesn't come out of the bag very often during the weekdays. I am pretty much a weekend warrior when it comes to photography.

Did you worry about a warranty?

Naa. I knew that I was getting a quality product at a really great price. As a matter of fact, I think I still have the warranty card unfilled out. Maybe I should turn that in with the old receipt, lol... if I still can. Thanks for reminding me.

Does your camera suffer much abuse in its day to day life?

Only abuse I would think my camera gets is when I take it near the coast. I live in San Diego. I'm sure the salty air may one day have some affect on my camera and lenses.

Hope this reply helps ya in any way.

Why did you buy your camera?
Why did I buy my current camera? Well, it's a long story. I was into photography since I was a kid. Had various types of cameras. Went to college with my Pentax PZ-20 and I met DH in our first photography class (we became lab and shooting partners). We both were really into photography and even set up a dark room in our first couple places. Had babies and had no time for it anymore, went to a P&S for ease with the kiddies. After a few years of a few different P&S I thought "this is stupid, I need a SLR again". But I was not going to go back to my Pentax film camera. I was chatting with an online friend of mine who also just went back to photography after a hiatus. She recommended the Nikon D80. I researched it, went to the shop and tried it out and bought it.

What sort of things did you take into consideration when you were making your decision?

Price, quality, ability. Feel in my hands. I like the feel of the Nikon way better over the Canon. I can't understand why they put some of the knobs and dials where they did on the Canon, makes no sense to my fingers!

What is your day to day use?

I use my camera almost everyday. If it's not my regular life stuff, I try to make a point of going out to shoot something.

Did you worry about a warranty?

Not really. It's a Nikon and bought new. The warrantee is nice though.

Does your camera suffer much abuse in its day to day life?

No, I dont' abuse my stuff.

To be honest, I just bought my camera because I caught the "bug" after inheriting a film Nikon then, after realising how much I'd be spending on film & processing at the rate I was going, I bought this one. It was nice and cheap, a huge leap forwards in terms of technology, and I couldn't find anything I hated about it.

I bought mine because I decided that it was time to stop dreaming and just do it, you can't be a great photographer if you don't have a camera...

I bought my camera because i've always been interested in photography. I always remember my dad taking pictures with his camera and me wanting to take pictures like him. I don't think i'm the best photographer in the world, but every person sees everything different. Its a great way to express yourself.

I researched my Panasonic, and it had the option of manual and auto settings but its taught me a lot, and I usually keep it on manual. Great way to learn about basics and what the different settings will do. Sooner or later, I would like to get another camera, but this one works for me right now.

I've got back into the habit of shooting something new everyday, just to see what I can see. I don't carry it with me to work, but I try to do it when i'm at home, or just take a walk. You never know what you'll catch. :)

No warranty and no abuse. Why would I want to abuse it?

My point and shoot died because I carried it in my pocket during a rain storm, and it got soaked. Was inspired to try my hand at real photography, so I bought a dSLR. Nikon D40. Haven't stopped shooting it since I bought it. Still got a lot to learn. :blushing:

Hmmm. . . .

I bought mine in May 2007. I originally thought the Nikon D40 was the be-all end-all because the marketing got into my brain and I almost bought one. However, I did a significant amount of research online, and spent plenty of time in the store handling each (I had to spread myself out so I didn't hit the same store over and over with no intention of buying there). The Rebel/Rebel XT felt like a Bushwick Bill-sized DSLR in my hands and really offered nothing special, the D40 had the nicest interface but lacked lens compatibility and just didn't sem to excel anywhere, and the Pentax K100D had the best build quality, lens compatibility, and in-body image stabilization to offset a laughably crude menu system and miserable continuous shooting.

Ultimately, each camera in any price range has relative strengths and weaknesses. The lower the price point, the more dramatic the issues. I used secndhand and firsthand accounts to determine the advantages and disadvantages of each system, and tried to place these on the contect of what was important to me.

I bought Pentax, and have not regretted it. Hope this is helpful.

Well, I took a photography class in high-school using a P&S 35 mm. I liked it so much that I decided to look into it some more, bought a digital P&S, which was eventually upgraded to a slightly better P&S (with manual modes, but not interchangeable lenses). At the same time, my uncle got a Nikon D40 and he let me shoot around with it. I really liked the way it felt and responded (so fast compared to a P&S). So, after saving up money for a while, I bought my own D40 with an 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. Ever since then I haven't slowed down. I use it every chance I get, from snapping pictures of friends and daily events to shooting family vacations, concerts, and just general creative stuff. To this day, if someone asks me to take a picture with a P&S, I get sort-of frustrated over the electronic viewfinder and the shutter lag.

Why did you buy your camera? What sort of things did you take into consideration when you were making your decision? What is your day to day use? Did you worry about a warranty? Does your camera suffer much abuse in its day to day life?

Questions sorry. I'm trying to make a decision based on what I will be using the camera for and am curious to see what other people based their choices on. Thanks

I wanted more control over my photographs than a P&S camera could offer, so I decided to get a dSLR. I went for Nikon because I could use some of my fathers older Nikon lenses with it. I chose the D80 over the D40 for the built-in AF motor, and the LCD screen on top of the body.
I don't use it really day-to-day, but I try to use it as often as possible. I'm taking pictures of everything, but I prefer photographs with people in them. I didn't worry about a warranty, but I'm happy I've got one. I take my camera with me almost wherever I go, even if I'm not planning to photograph something in particular, so you could say it does get a decent degree of abuse in day-to-day life.

Good luck!

I bought my camera ,because I really wanted to good camera to take photos of a wildlife.I have chosen one which was in my budget and it was not too heavy.In some way I bought myself a nice present because for a long time I couldn`t afford to buy any camera ,even very cheap ,always were other expenses.:)

I figured that I had a ton of money to blow and wanted to get into an expensive hobby so I could stay poor. So I bought the most expensive camera I could afford, then lenses, then lights, and now another camera, etc, etc...

mine was free. got it from a school related deal. why else would i have a kodak easy share. haha. pretty beat up too.

Most reactions

Back