Why get an external flash?

I'm pretty sure she was refering to the 270EX - at least I was

Possible reasons: bounce the light by using the tilt and swivel head - the difference this alone makes in your photographs will make you never go back to the on-camera flash ever; Much higher power; ability to diffuse the light - again, huge difference in your pictures; ability to use it as a "slave" off camera, where your creativity can again really take off.
In general, it's like the transition from point and shoot to SLR, when it comes to lighting. Instead of pointing your camera to things and having no control, you get to engage with the whole process and have a blast. Oh, and on occasion create good images...

+1. I am always dispointed with my photos when I forget my external flash and I have to use the camera flash.

When I find myself in that situation, I just won't even use any flash at all. I'd rather have really noisy pictures, or just not take pictures at all than use my pop-up as a main light source. Now that I'm use to being able to bounce and shape light, direct, the look of direct pop-up flash is the most vile looking thing there is to me.

On Camera external flash sets you on a different level(Like mentioned, you can bounce, tilt, zoom and manipulate the light in all kinds of ways). Look at light modifiers and most of these are designed for external camera flash. Once you've maximized what you can do on camera you'll probably move on to off camera flash and this is where you maximize your external camera flash purchase. One good flash can do wonders..it's amazing how you can push these tools

yeah, though even though the 270ex has no slave function you could still trigger it off camera by using a hotshoe trigger, or a cable/hotshoe converter

the problem though is that it leaves the flash as a single flash setup. For some that might not be a problem and its all the flash they will ever need, whilst for others who might expand into even just one extra flash it will be a limitation.
It is hard to say what the furture needs will be (especaily when one is very new to photography) but leaving options open to expand (by going for something like a 430) is always a good move.

nah, because you can always fire multiple flashes off camera (you just need an extra receiver).

This only precludes you from being able to have an extra flash on camera, which you can get around if you have a RP PX or something for example. (not that you would go that route as those things are quite pricey.

This is not me saying that you shouldn't get a 430 or a 580... just that if you want to fire the 270ex off camera you can. The other major problem I do see with the 270ex is that if you wanted to use it off camera (which you could technically do) you can not at that point set the power of flash. (that is perhaps with the exception of once the RPcube comes out... not sure there)

Last edited:
yeah, though even though the 270ex has no slave function you could still trigger it off camera by using a hotshoe trigger, or a cable/hotshoe converter

But according to several websites, the only way to access manual mode is by doing so in camera with a 5D MKII or 500D. That means there's no way to manually adjust it once it's off the camera. Horrible for an OCF.

But according to several websites, the only way to access manual mode is by doing so in camera with a 5D MKII or 500D. That means there's no way to manually adjust it once it's off the camera. Horrible for an OCF.

Agreed - its pretty much only got an on button and a test button on the back of it and no more. Canon made it as a single oncamera flash aimed at being just that - a simple, small oncamera flash for when people want a small setup or when they are just not going to take photography further.

Its why I discounted it as a second shooting flash for my macro work - simply no way to contorl its output.

:addpics:

I was just mucking about with friends this past weekend and snapped some shots..... so the ARE SNAPSHOTS! After a few shots and not happy with them, I ran back to the car for my flash.

Without flash.....

708713549_pj8h5-X2.jpg

With flash.....​

708714141_wJ5Vf-X2.jpg

Better control of lighting?​

Better control of lighting?​
Much better control! Better colors, more natural skintones, fewer blown highlights, etc..., etc..., etc...

All in all a VERY good illustration of how you can use a flash to take more control of the environment and light.

I always liken Flash/No-Flash photographs to the different styles of television programs. You had the taped look (no flash) of Seinfeld versus the Studio Audience (flash) look of Home Improvement. You can totally tell one from the other, but neither bests the other - and they both have their critical uses.

Agreed - its pretty much only got an on button and a test button on the back of it and no more. Canon made it as a single oncamera flash aimed at being just that - a simple, small oncamera flash for when people want a small setup or when they are just not going to take photography further.

Its why I discounted it as a second shooting flash for my macro work - simply no way to contorl its output.

lol, both of these comments I referred to in my second response saying that the major problem for use off camera is the lack of manually being able to control power.

The other major problem I do see with the 270ex is that if you wanted to use it off camera (which you could technically do) you can not at that point set the power of flash. (that is perhaps with the exception of once the RPcube comes out... not sure there)

let me add too that a 430ex at least make you do HSS flashing when using it as fill flash in bright days.

example... you are in a beach and want to take a portrait...

option 1, place the subject facing the light (sun) to have light on the face - but this will lead to squinting of the subject

option 2, position the subject so that the light is at the back of the subject... - no squinting but the face is dark

option 3, use option 2 but use flash as fill in... this will need you to set your shutter more than 1/250s with flash and you cannot do that without HSS (not available with built in flash)

Most reactions

Back