Why is a 20D TWICE as much as a 10D?

I have a 10D as a backup for my 40D, but neither were the first digital SLR I bought. The first one I bought was a Rebel XT, and it was an excellent starter camera. I wasn't aware that the 10D only took EF lenses, not EF-S lenses until I tried to put one on at a fashion show I was shooting, and it didn't work. In my opinion, it's very important to have versatility in lens options, and EF-S lenses are generally a lot cheaper than EF lenses. You may spend less on the camera body if you get a 10D, but a good lens is gonna run you another couple hundred probably. If you got the 20D, you'd essentially be getting a better camera, and you could get a decent kit lens for about $50 more used. I'd say 20D hands down, it's an investment.
Plus, the noise level and actual light reception on the 10D at ISO 1600 is about 20% as good as the light on my 40D in the same settings. When I first started using DSLR, I hardly ever used flash, and was always pushing the ISO.
Also consider that if you are unhappy with the 10D that if you decide to resell it, the value will have gone down even more, leaving you less to re-invest.

I have a 10D as a backup for my 40D, but neither were the first digital SLR I bought. The first one I bought was a Rebel XT, and it was an excellent starter camera. I wasn't aware that the 10D only took EF lenses, not EF-S lenses until I tried to put one on at a fashion show I was shooting, and it didn't work. In my opinion, it's very important to have versatility in lens options, and EF-S lenses are generally a lot cheaper than EF lenses. You may spend less on the camera body if you get a 10D, but a good lens is gonna run you another couple hundred probably. If you got the 20D, you'd essentially be getting a better camera, and you could get a decent kit lens for about $50 more used. I'd say 20D hands down, it's an investment.
Plus, the noise level and actual light reception on the 10D at ISO 1600 is about 20% as good as the light on my 40D in the same settings. When I first started using DSLR, I hardly ever used flash, and was always pushing the ISO.
Also consider that if you are unhappy with the 10D that if you decide to resell it, the value will have gone down even more, leaving you less to re-invest.

You're very intelligent, and very insightful. Thank you SO MUCH!!!

My second digital camera was the 10D (my first the 1Ds) and I have to say it took great photos! Here are its flaws:
1. slow. This camera really isn't ready for action photography when shooting raw files (which is what I shoot). Shooting jpegs you can capture some good action sequences, but the write to card speed is a bottleneck.
2. very noisy images above iso 400. This can look really cool, though, kinda like tri-x fllm developed in d-76.
3. Pop-up flash has a tendency to quit working and repair is more than the camera is worth (Mine went bad and looking at used models at KEH in Atlanta reveals that a lot more have as well).

If, though, it really is half the cost of a 20D for a clean, working model, I would get one. They do take good photos (I've enlarged images from mine to 24x36). I gave mine to my daughter and replaced it with a 30D which is PDG (pretty darn good).

Most reactions

Back