Why is the Nikon D90 cheaper than the D80?

Aerr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't know but you should definitely get it! I had the D80 for a while and it was quite a disappointment.

Hey Nick, what didn't you like about the D80? What camera are you using now?

I bought a a D90 recently. You can see a lot of test reviews out there. This is a decent camera.

Interesting observation on the price. In anycase GET d90 and enjoy it ;)

I'm currently shooting with the D7000 and it is great. The high ISO performance was the main issue with the D80. It was practically unusable anything ISO 400 and up. The D90 is much better in that regard and is just overall a better camera. I have no idea why the D80 still costs so much.

Not all Amazon sellers are Amazon, and not all non-Amazon sellers price competitively. Many price high, hoping some sucker will pay their inflated price.

Your first link clearly states:
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

While the second link states:
Ships from and sold by UpBeat Electronics.

Only 1 left in stock--order soon.

I'm currently shooting with the D7000 and it is great. The high ISO performance was the main issue with the D80. It was practically unusable anything ISO 400 and up. The D90 is much better in that regard and is just overall a better camera. I have no idea why the D80 still costs so much.

What did you expect from a camera that cost half as much as a d90 and 4 times less then a d7000?

A Kia is disappointing compared to a porsche also ;)

Btw, iso 800 and below is very respectable on the d80, the d90 is about 1.5 stops better at high iso--that's what you get for twice the $ ($600 vs $300 used)

Hmmm.. When I went from D80 to D90 besides the 1.5 stops of ISO. I also got another stop of dynamic range. More consistent metering as the D80 had some finicky metering at times. Sensor cleaning as on my D80 required 2-4 times a year wet cleaning which I did myself. And on D90 getting ready to do second wet clean in 2 years. 2 more megapixels which isn't that significant but helps. another additonal 1.5 frames a second. Larger and higher density lcd. D90 rated twice the shutter of the D80 at 100k.

For me the extra $200 difference is worth it for a D90. For others those things I mentioned may or may not be important to them.

And haven't seen that many used D80's at $300 most I see are in the $375-$500 range. And D90's body only in the $550-$650 range.

And as mentioned you have to look at sold by. As mentioned there are scammer sellers on amazon. Sold by Amazon,B&H,Keh or Androrama are the only ones I would trust for decent and fair price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back