why should i buy new lenses?

sideburn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tumblr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i've noticed older lenses sell cheap while the newer ones are very expensive, my canon allows both EF-s and EF lenses but i don't have much of a budget and i only want a cheap zoom lens (around 80-200mm) that ill use rarely

I guess the answer for you is that you shouldn't. I just bought a Canon 20D for my son because I had three EF lenses laying around. The autofocus works just as well as any of my Nikon modern lenses, although the performance is quite soft all around-- even on the 50mm prime. He's got the modern 18-55 EFS, 35-135 EF, 75-300 EF and 50 EF. Attached is a sample photo I took yesterday with the telephoto.

$IMG_7871.jpg

This next one was shot with the 50mm prime. I focused on the chicken butt, but I took quite a few shots of head, butt and whatever else, and they're all just "ok"...

$IMG_7845.jpg

What I haven't done however, is take test exposures with the modern kit lens to compare. I'll do that when I get some time today.

Edit* Well, now that I am looking at the pictures again, they're actually not bad at all and pretty sharp for what they are. rofl

Last edited:
thats pretty good

do you think it would be worthwhile me getting a old, lens that was once high quality for its time rather than a cheap modern one?

thats pretty good

do you think it would be worthwhile me getting a old, lens that was once high quality for its time rather than a cheap modern one?

I went out with the modern Canon kit lens yesterday and it performed as well if not a bit better than the old ones. I can't say about high quality old lenses. I have an old Canon EF 50mm prime, and it can't even touch my modern Nikkon budget primes-- sorry, I don't have more modern Canon lenses to compare.

ok i noticed the 2nd hand price of the lens i want the canon ef 80-200mm f4.5-5.6 II is around £40 so i will probably buy one of them

I do think the lenses have improved. Ive got a EF 35-80mm USM from an old film body, as optically I dont think it is as good as my more recent EF-S 18-55 lens.

This isnt true in all cases though. My EF 75-300 mk.1 was about £40 used, whereas a mk.3 USM is about 200-300 quid new. The new one is better in terms of AF speed and stuff, but they seem to take equally good pictures and as I use it rarely, the older one was the right fit for me.

i might have a second look at some old lenses then
are old dslr bad aswell because i was looking at a eos 350d as i want a camera i dont have to worry about when im on a bicycle

The 350D is an early 8MP model, which takes old CF cards instead of SD. It will probably give fine pictures, but its old and slow.

Get a second-hand current model. A 1100D is about £240 new, with the 18-55mm kit lens, if you shop around, presumably less if you buy it one year old.

Most reactions

Back